faucets

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing faucets

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

The faucets in my bathroom continually leak. I have changed all the washers, even the armatures. but they continue to leak. It is a very old house. Any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
        rino

Participant

It’s not a big problem to stop the leaky faucets but before starting anything we need to confirm the type of faucet. Commonly there are four types of faucets such as; compression, cartridge (sleeve), ceramic disk, and ball type. Here I mention some detail to confirm the actual type of faucet you have.
          A compression faucet relies on rubber washers to seal the valve seat.
          Rubber washers wear out and must be replaced occasionally.
          The other types often called washer less faucets.
          I personally request you to specify the actual type of faucet first to get the exact solution.
          I will happy to help you ahead.     

Participant

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. I am going to guess that the type of faucet is compression as it is an old house and the faucets have washers. Please note, that I have already changed all the washers and dismantled the faucets to try to assess the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Participant

I think you will end up buying new faucets in my opinion. Sorry.

Participant

Hello Rino,
                Thanks for your positive reply. Now I want to explain some simple steps to repair compression faucets below which will be supportive for you.
                * Remove the handles- If a faucet continues to drip after both handles are turned to the off position, remove both handles to inspect for damage to the stem assemblies.
                * Try to expose screw holding the handle.
                * You may also look over the stem assembly for damage. Check the rubber washer on the end. If it looks OK, unscrew the packing nut to see whether there is damage to the O-rings inside   
                * Check for rough spots- If the washer and O-rings look good, use your finger to check for rough spots around the valve seat inside the faucet (Image 1). If the seat is damaged, the faucet may not make a watertight seal even with new washers.
                You may also check your faucet according to above guidelines. Hope it would be beneficial for you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This