Drain from central ac

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Drain from central ac

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Heatpump type central AC that has a drain attached to the bottom of the indoor unit. the water is under no pressure and usually just drips out. It connects by schedule 40 to a Plastic drain pipe of about 3 inches in diameter. this pipe goes into the cement slab foundation and exists behind my house. The indoor unit rests on a platform above the floor. the 1″ pvc is connected to a connector at the bottom of the ac . this pipe is connects to the 3″ pipep in the floor. This 3″ drain is on the other side of the AC and the pipe makes many twists and turns before it gets to the drain. just Before it enters the drain there there is a rectangular trap made up of 4 elbows.

This 1″ pvc pipe gets stopped up about twice a year and soaks the closet its in and my hall carpet also. That’s the only way I know it’s stopped up.

What I want to know is: Is this trap necessary? Can I just clamp a piece of flexible vinyl tubing to a stub of 1″ pvc pipe and place it in the 3″ drain? Would it eventually stop up the 3″ drain and I have bigger mess to repair? I have a bucket under there now to catch the water and the water looks so clean and pure, I don’t see how it could stop anything up.
        Thanks,
        Paul

Participant

Most central air conditioning units have a condensate drain to collect this water. Any home that has a central air conditioner unit installed has a condensate drain line. However, if you are still facing problems call the professionals to solve it out.

Participant

Any home that has a central air conditioner unit installed has a condensate drain line. Air conditioning units produce one natural by-product, Water

Participant

Instead of doing it myself, I would have called in professional for the job without wasting my time and money.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This