sump pumps

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives sump pumps

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

How do you test to see if a sump pump is working? i haven’t heard it go on in a long time?

Participant

Burke:–If there is a hose handy, add a little water to the sump, or visually inspect the sump if that is possible…Lots of luck…Bud.

Participant

One thing you must do first is make sure you have power the the pump.Is it plug in or did it kick the breaker, if not and you are getting power than run water from the fixtures that drain into the sump. if it does not turn on the foat cuold be bad or the pump may be jummed. how ever if it is not comeing on you may want to have a plumber look at it and give you a price. but don’t call a rooter man call a plumber . best of luck

Participant

If there is no water to pump then there is no need for it to operate.

Try dumping some water into the container and see if it comes on (be careful and

don’t put too much water in it … ). Still not coming on? Then test the electrical socket

to ensure that it has power (take a wall lamp that you know is workig and plug it in). Still

not working? Time to get serious!!!

Try lifting the float valve or mercury switch (depends on the type of

sump pump you have. This should force the pump to come on.

Be careful … Water is a good conductor of electricty. Think Safety!!!!

You may want to have a more experienced friend test this out. It is not

difficult but can be dangerous (you don’t want to become another statistic).

Also if you are doing this work and do not have a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) in

the socket then I suggest that you install one (they do work well).

Good Luck

Participant

Should a sump pump work like an oil well with a constant vertical motion once there’s water? Also, my sump pump has a hole with water escaping from it; is that normal? By the way, my basement is now flooded and all I hear is the sound of a motor but no decrease in the water level. Help!!!

Participant

Place a garden hose in the sump and run some water into it! If it does not run remove the water with a bucket and replace your pump!

Randy

Participant
                    Randy wrote:
                    Place a garden hose in the sump and run some water into it! If it does not run remove the water with a bucket and replace your pump!

Randy

It has been quit cold here for the last month and I notice my sump pump keeps starting about every 15 to 20 minutes is that normal?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This