Lead Oakum replacements for showerpan drain

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Lead Oakum replacements for showerpan drain

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Over the weekend I help repair a bathroom that had a severely water damaged floor. We had to take out all subfloor down to the joists. There was a shower in this area that had a fiberglass or composite showerpan. The shower pan had a 8″ piece of cast iron pipe with a lead/oakum joint connecting to the metal flange/sleave in the shower pan. This cast iron was then connected to a cast iron trap which was connected to PVC piping the rest of the way out. There is about 2 ft total of cast iron between the shower pan and PVC. I have full access to the pipes beneath the shower pan. My question is:

What is the best way to reconnect the shower pan. I would like to elimiate the cast iron all together, but I’m not sure what can be used to bond/seal to the metal sleave that is in the shower pan. Can i just use a rubber coupler with clamps to clamp to the outside of the shower flange below the pan and then connect then clamp that directly to the a new pvc trap?

Thanks,

Doug

Participant

Fernco coupling. Only thing approved by the international code book to connect metallic to plastic.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This