Water Pressure

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Pressure

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

How can you increase the Water Pressure ?

Participant

A little bit more info from you is needed…

Are running off a well, or municipal water?

Do you have a pressure reducing valve installed on your water distribution?

Are you looking to increase water pressure to the whole house, or do you have a fixture that seems to be running on low pressure?

If you have a well pump, the pressure cut off and cut on settings can usually be adjusted. Municipal water, you take what you get. If by some chance you have a pressure reducing valve located somewhere(it would have to be accessible) that can be adjusted as well.

If you have a certain fixture (sink, shower, etc..) that seems to be low on water pressure, there are a number of possible causes and solutions, some simple, some not so simple…

Participant

Often the problem will appear to be a pressure issue when it comes to volume or flow issue. A restriction in a line or just having a long line or under sized line could be the problem. There are many considerations; do you have enough pressure at your mains? Do you have an old furred up pipe work, perhaps lead or galv? Is your main stop open fully?

If you install a pressure gauge, you can check pressure. It should be above about 35 PSI. 35 PSI would be on the low side, but should be ok. Look at the http://www.plumberscorvallisoregon.com/ then look at it when the water is on full in the bathtub. If the pressure is ok until you turn on the water than it is a flow problem[email protected]2008-01-02 17:40:10

Participant

I hope that this site is so useful to you and you can get more informations from it.[email protected]2007-12-08 17:59:25

Participant

One way to over come this is to install a pressure tank

and check valve. The tank will give you the flow and the check valve will keep the flow going only into the tank or house. The in-coming flow will feed your tank and house as the water is used, so the tank should last for a long time before you see a loss of pressure. I have had good results with this set up. One last thing to check is for clogged aerators at the sinks and showerheads. Good luck.

Participant

I just learned something new! I didn’t realize putting a pressure tank and a check valve would increase pressure on a water service connected to municipal water. I always do it with a well, but not on city water.

When you say pressure tank, are you referring to a bladder tank filled with mostly air, or a storage tank kept closer to the house? How big of a tank would you recommend?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This