Relocating to San Francisco – can you guys help!

Home Forums Members Only Trade Professionals Relocating to San Francisco – can you guys help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello plumbers of America!
      I am a 30 year old time served plumber and soon to be qualified gas fitter from the UK who will be relocating with my partner to San Francisco in july/sept this year. She has a minimum of 2 years contract and if we both like it over there would probably look to settle in your fine country for some time. I have been plumbing for nearly 5 years and have nearly finished my training which has taken over 4 years, I will then be trained to NVQ 3 standard which in the UK means I’ll be a qualified heating and gas engineer with relavant gas fitting tickets, which is recognised in the uk as a Corgi badge holder and deems you competent to deal with gas – now esential in the UK for undertaking any gas works.
      If any fellow tradesmen could offer any help or suggestions for what I will need to gain employment in the states (my green card is being sorted by my partners firm) what relavent/equivalent qualifications and tickets I may need to gain, employment prospects/opportunities, any companies I could send c.v.’s to and ideas how much I may earn
      as a plumber in the USA – infact any lowdown at all would be greatly appreciated!
      Many thanks,
      Jonathan Brindley

Go to local Plumbers Union Hall and ask there. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

I have a good friend that was a plumber over in England and he told me plumbing is very differn’t here in the states compared to England.

There are a few other plumbing sites you should look at: Plumbing Help Forum, ThePlumber.com also do a Goggle seach for Plumbing Isometric Drawings and compare this work to what you are doing.

Last, consider taking a job as a pipefitter the pay is the same or even more the work compares better to the work you are doing now, pipefitting could be more lucrative for you then doing plumbing.

Thanks for the feedback guys, have sent an email to plumbers union in San Fran and am awaiting a response so will update you on progress. Will research pipe fitting option too – is it best to contact appropriate union for that too? In UK unions are generally a thing of the past but does all construction operate under unions in USA? Also what training/requirements are needed to be a gas engineer/fitter as would be willing to re-train if need be, think could be settiling over there for a while and its the trade I know and enjoy, i hear you have gas operating at much higher pressures to Uk – domestic supply over here is 21mb. Any feedback would be great!

Try those other web sites I know there are some plumbers from California that could help you better then I can.

I think ones nick name is redwood and he could give you information concerning the plumbing poltics and union affiliations in San Fran if you ask him.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This