Sink drain pipe leaking at join to clay sewer

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Sink drain pipe leaking at join to clay sewer

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’ve been having a problem with the kitchen sink backing up for the past few months – no big problem, one or two plunges got it going every time – until my lovely partner dicovered that there was ALOT of water under the house. Putting 2 and 2 together, the occasional smell was from the mucky water that was accumulating under the house.
        Upon closer inspection, where the PVC sink pipe (2 inch?) joins into the clay sewer pipe (4 inch) there was a join made out of concrete, chick wire mesh and plastic. this has come loose and the water just flows staight out and across the ground.
        I’ve seen joins such as this before (not that i’m a plumber!) but it seems like a common thing to do.
        I’m just wondering how I’d go about replacing the concrete – do I need the plastic and mesh? Or, can i jsut sponge the water out and start packing it full of concrete…
        How important is it to get the join air-tight?

Thanks for your help

Participant

There is 2 ways to fix it. First you have to get coc. off and have a square end on pipe are rent a cutter and cut it. You can use a 4×2 PVC reducer and a fernco fitting, are use a fernco fitting from 4 to 2 ” for 4″ clay pipe. Go to search and look up fernco fittings and you will see what I am talking about, you can get them at Plumbing supplyhouse are box store. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This