what to replace shower stall drain with

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage what to replace shower stall drain with

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have a bathroom i’ve gutted and am trying to do most of the work myself on….I’ve gotten through the slab foundation and have dug out the p trap that appears to be cast iron. I’m assuming its cast iron, though I’m no expert.

I figured it would be a good thing while i have this bathroom ripped up to go ahead and replace the P trap, just to ensure that the line is clear and in good order — so what to use? PVC or cast iron or ?

any recommendations on what to use to connect the old cast iron and the new material, as far as whats proven to hold nicely for years to come.

also, this brings me to my next big decision – to tile or not to tile. i’m thinking I can replace this drain and then tile around it and makes things easy on myself. or i can put in a fiberglass stall and make it easy as far as installation, but i’d probably need to center the drain. any recommendations on the easiest thing to do here..it’s hard for me to judge which is easier, tiling or lining up the drain perfectly with the stall.

thanks for your help!

Participant

It probably would be cheaper to tile around , centering upthe drain for a shower pan is not hard to do. The trap can be replaced with castiron are pvc with a Nohub ban, if you have a hub there you have to saw it off with sawsall, you could have abs pipe too.

Art retired plbg

Participant

whats a hub? i’m not sure i know what a nohub ban is either..

if i connect another cast iron section, what do i need to use to connect the sections?

Participant

Nohub bands. Go to http://www.google.com and put nohub bands in search and you will see what they look like.

Art retired plbg

Participant

http://www.fernco.com/NH.html
                go to this site.

Art retired plbg

Participant

oh ok, thats easy enough. i thought you were talking about something completely different. does any kind of adhesive in addition to that coupling just to create a good seal?

Participant

Do not use any kind of glue are grease with the coupling. Use as is.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This