cesspool problem

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage cesspool problem

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

We just had a cesspool back-up, flooded basement, and pumping and aeration done on the cesspool and overflow. To avoid this in the future, I wanted to do two things:

1) take the outlet from the washing machine, drill thru the basement to outside, and dump this water outside instead of into the septic system.

2) Take the inlet from which the washing machine discharge was, sweat on some additional fittings, drill thru the concrete basement, and also put this overflo outside.

This way I don’t have soap going into the septic system. Also, if there is a clog in the line, or a cesspool back-up, instead of flooding the basement, I would see and smell this outside and can get the cesspool fixed without fixing water damage done to the basement. There would be discharge from this pipe only if there was a cesspool problem, not on a regular basis.

My question: Is this a legitimate solution to protecting the cesspool system (no soapy water) and preventing any future basement flooding (overflow outside) ??

If not, any suggestions ??

Thanks

Participant

See my post about Saving Graywater. It seems that this is an unclear and murky gray (pun intended) area in the plumbing codes. We all agree that septic (blackwater) toilet wast MUST be processed in a municipal sewer treatment plant or septic system, but this graywater is really a gray area. No one would object to your diverting whitewater (eg. potable water supplied to sprinklers or even roof rainwater runoff) into the ground around your house. But what about the wastewater from your clothes/dishwasher, kitchen sink, lavs, and bath/showers? I think you should be able to use that to water your garden and lawns if you want to.

NtP

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This