In-Wall vent for downstairs bathroom

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage In-Wall vent for downstairs bathroom

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I had a plumber tell me that my downstairs bathroom was either unvernted or had a Stuard (or something like that) vent in the wall. Does anyone know what that is? Also, I thought a toilet would not flush without a vented drain… sinks.. showers.. and so on.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Alwassle. He may be referring to a studor air admittance valve.
          Trust your plumber if he is a Licensed Master Plumber.
          Bob

Participant

Is there a way to tell for sure if it is vented or not (or find studor vent) without tearing into walls?

Participant

In reply to message posted by alwasl8:
              Is there a way to tell for sure if it is vented or not (or find studor vent) without tearing into walls?

First of all, a Studor Vent (Air Admittance Valve-AAV) is permitted by some but not all codes, for some but not all applications. So far as I am aware, neither the UPC nor the IRC permits an AAV as the sole vent for a toilet.

Second, the codes that DO permit AAVs specify that they may NOT be sealed up behind walls. They need to be accessible for two reasons: 1) to be able to check on them; and, 2) because they need a free supply of air to properly vent, and sealing them behind a wall may deprive them of that free air supply.

NtP

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This