Unvented downstairs plumbing

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Unvented downstairs plumbing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I bought a home about a year ago and have noticed a slight sewer gas smell from time to time in the downstairs bathroom. Recentely after a good period of rain, the smell became very evident. I had a plumber come out and he checked the vents on the roof and had me flush while he was up on the roof. He then tells me that the toilet downstairs (probably sink and shower also) are either improperly vented (some kind of stuard vent, not sure about the spelling of that) or are unvented all together. The toilet is under that stairs and he that it could’nt have been vented properly. The downstiars has finished walls and ceilings so everything is hidden. He said that it was not tied into the vents coming out of the roof (there are 2). He said that one was the 2 bathroons upstairs and the other smaller one was most like the kitchen sink and washer. He recomended replacing the wax seal on the toilet and caulking around the tile to stop the air from coming back up(there is a small opening between the back of the toilet and the tile). What are my options at this point? His solution did not seem to be a fix but rather a patch. My wife is ready to just sell the house altogether. I had heard that a toilet would not even slush without some kind of vent.

Participant

It sounds like he is trying todo it the least costly way to start with for you. You are right to say is just a patch what he wants to try.

I would try what the plumber sujested if it works it will cost you alot less, but if it does not he will have to start cutting into the walls and ceiling to find and correct the plumbing.

Participant

Do you know what he was talking about when he said there might be a stuard (or something like that) vent in the wall somewhere?

Participant

Studor vent is the correct termage.

It is similar to a AAV, or Air-Admittance Valve.

It is a mechanical device used in place of proper venting that allows for the drain system to pull air from the atmosphere without allowing sewer gases to escape.

Not code in my state, but they are used in situations where running a legal vent is virtually impossible.

These can and will fail, and will cause a odor caused by sewer gas release.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This