Vent for basement ejector

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Vent for basement ejector

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 20 years ago by Avatar photoRetired plbg1.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’m installing an ejector system (pit and pump) for a basement laundry. What has me stumped is a problem I ran into while running a vent through the outside wall to the roof.

The venting concept is simple, and I’m sure I have (or can get) the tools required. What has me puzzled is how to get past the fire stop in the wall (in the kitchen wall behind some cupboards).

One plumber I talked to said he would run a steel pipe up from the basement and bust the fire stop out to make room for the vent. It seems like there might be a more refined method for this task, since it’s something that must be fairly routine for this type pf retrofit.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Paul

Participant

The plumber is right, no magic way to do it faster and cleaner. If you want refined try accounting and leave the plumbing alone.

Participant

I’m installing the same type of pump. The main floor bathroom is directly overhead of the one I’m installing in the basement. The vent for that bathroom runs under the main floor before turning up through the walls and roof. Why can’t I just tie the new bathroom into that vent? How would gases flow downward and through the traps into my new fixtures in the basement?

Participant

In your case you most likley can if the vent pipe is the correct size for the number of plumbing fixtures it serves and it is a dry vent and not a wet vent.

Sewer gas will flow up down and all around in the drain, waste and vent system, the gas is subject to both positive and negative forces created by the differn’t types of fixtures and pumps connected to that system. The properly installed traps and vents will prevent the sewer gas from entering through your fixture trap seal and your sump basin/pit.

» This message has been edited by PLUMBILL on 21 April 2004

Participant

According to code the sump vent should not connect into house plumbing vent, it should be seperate because sewer gas will be in the sump and the way you say your bath vent is and you connect sump vent into it and toilet line stops up it will drain into sump.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This