Connection to 6″ cast sewer hub

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Connection to 6″ cast sewer hub

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have 6″ cast iron hub coming through foundation wall attached to 3″ brass reducer with oakum/lead. I would like to connect 4″ plastic pipe directly to hub. Would it be ok to attach fernco rubber coupling around oustide of hub? How do I break oakum/lead joint? Thanks

Participant

If it is inside building you can use a fernco to connect it up, melt out lead joint with torch are drill lead out. Sounds like you have 4″ pipe with 5-1/2″ hub. Can you saw off hub and use nohub band. If not melt out and put 4″ pipe in hub and go from there, they make a compound for the joint in hub. You can use a Dual tite gasket that fits in hub and push in pvc, you have to bevel the pipe and use grease on gasket and pipe and find a way to push it in with jack are something.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Another way is to use a CI to PVC adaptor that you pack and pour into the old hub and then glue your plastic pipe off of that. In the N.E. states this adaptor is usually required and should work in any jurisdiction

Participant

Thanks alot for the quick respones

I only have visibility to 6″ (o/s diam) CI hub protruding from foundation. Does this mean it is a 4″ pipe?

Can I insert rubber gasket into hub and then insert 4″ pvc pipe.

The CI to pvc adapter that was mentioned, what is used to pour and pack the joint? Is this better than a rubber gasket?

Thanks

Participant

You could use a 4″ PVC adap. but you might have to cut off end and bevel it. also you need a puller are somekind of good pressure to push it in, you can drill a hole on each side of hub and install a good anchor and use to allthread rods and drill 2 holes in 2×4 and use nuts and washers and force the adap. in.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This