sanitary tee or combo – attn: PLUMBILL

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage sanitary tee or combo – attn: PLUMBILL

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 20 years ago by Avatar photonicktheplumber.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

When merging a vertical drain line with a horizontial drain line: Can I use a sanitary tee laid on its back or do I need to use a combination fitting (“combo tee”)?
        This is in wisconsin, in a residential single fam. house. I tried to look it up in the plubing code book, but ohh man, thats some long reading! PS – I can not find a combo tee for sale at any hardware store.

Participant

You cannot use a Tee on its back are any horizontal position, You need a combo. are y& 45. It might not be in code but a Plumber should know that, are you a Plumber. Go to a Plumbing supplyhouse and buy the fittings. They dont have them in stores because they can make more money by selling y& 45.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I agree. No tee shall be laid on its back.

You can lay a tee on its side, but the degree of angle shall be no less than 45 degree of direction.

And from that tee, no turn of direction more than a 45 degree turn. That would be considered flat-venting if venting is its dedicated purpose.

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 18 March 2004

Participant

He is talking about using a tee at base of stack what i get out of it, you can use tee on back for vent but not for waste.

Art retired plbg

Participant

This is what I’m talking about

Participant

Wetthumbs, Great Sketch!!!

Septic Tank Yank

Participant

What is going into the top/front of the tee? The front of that tee would have to be a drain for another fixture, otherwise, that would be a flat vent.

I am probably throwing confusion into this now.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 18 March 2004

Participant

You cant use a tee on a stack like that you need a combo. are a y & 45. What else do you want to hear.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Dunbar I updated the image in my previous post to make things more clear. The “front” of the tee would be a cleanout. The AAV is also noted. What to you think of this plan?

Participant

A cleanout is fine, just follow what Retired Plbg said by using a wye and a street 45 to make your turn of direction towards the main line.

A tee is too short of a sweep with the top of tee not being used for anything other than a cleanout.

With the combination T-Wye, the flow of fluids and waste will not build up at the cleanout as much as a tee would.

The suggestion of the T-WYE is for smooth operation of travel of waste.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 19 March 2004

Participant

How did you get the drawing on the post let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

for godsake man don’t teach the retired one!

Participant

Its not real easy to do. It took me quite a while to learn how. To much info for me to explain here. Use your windows help menus, it might help.

Participant

Just got back from vacation and saw your posting.

That part of the code is Comm.82.39 (8) found on page 28 of the Jan. 2004 edition of the Wisconsin Plumbing Code.

All the other plumbers are correct and you can fined the needed combo at any plumbing shop, supply house, or big box store, many hardware stores don’t stock them you have to buy a “Y” and “45” to make one.

» This message has been edited by PLUMBILL on 25 March 2004

Participant

The sketch is pretty clear and shows the fitting as being part of the wet drain and not just a part of the dry vent system. Thus, you cannot use a sanitary or vent tee. You must use a combo type fitting. Period, end of story.
                                    NtP

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This