Broken Line to the Main

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Broken Line to the Main

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I found out last night that I have a “broken line to the main”. I do not understand all the lingo they use, but from how they explained it, it is exactly as it sounds. Where the line from my sink (and the upstairs neighbor’s) drains it is rotted out at the 90 degree angle, thus soaking into the dirt right at that point. The fumes alone are terrible, when it is mixed with water coming up back into my sink it is unbearable. I was advised not to use my dishwasher, disposal, and as little water as possible. This problem has persisted, and I was just now advised not to use the appliances. Had this gone unnoticed and water use was continued, what diseases etc could arise from the contaminated water that is filling my sink and dishwasher?

Participant

headdy,

>Had this gone unnoticed and water use was continued, what diseases etc could arise from the contaminated water that is filling my sink and dishwasher?<

There are a host of deadly disease causing bacteria, viruses, and protozoans that are transmitted by contact with human sewage. Just to name a few, HIV (AIDS), Typhoid , Cholera, Cryptosporidium, and E-coli O157:H7.

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)
          Septic System Consultant
          Timnath, Colorado

Participant

John has covered the germs you need to worry about, though if this is a “gray water” as opposed to a “black water” waste line, less serious germs are involved. Besides the ones that John mentioned, hepatitis viruses can infect soil lines.

Another problem you need to worry about from your leaking drain is wood rot and foundation damage. You need to attend to this problem for your own health and the health of your home. Replace the leaking section of waste pipe.

NtP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This