Leaking ejector pump pit

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Leaking ejector pump pit

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have an ejector pump sitting in a pit in my basement which pumps water from drains in the floor of my laundry room and basement into the sewage system. It is not supposed to pump rain water. Lately it has been pumping water out every half hour or so after a rain, so I am pretty sure that the pit is leaking. How can I fix it? Thanks. Jim

Participant

JimL, remove the pump, clean the sump pump pit, and check for leaks. If the pump pit is concrete, then epoxy cement should be used to seal the cracks, or seal around where the drain pipes enter the pump pit. If the pump pit is plastic then use 100% silicone sealant to effect the repair.

When the pump pit is repaired and sealed to prevent the rain water from being applied to the sewer system, you may have a problem with the rain water entering your basement. The rain water should be pumped by a second sump pump located in a separate pump pit into an appropriate drainage system to get it away from the house. It is not appropriate to pump the rain water into a septic system or a central sewage collection system. Good Luck!!

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)

Participant

John is correct in all he has offered. Go to http://WWW.SSPMA.org to see some ways to fix or add a new sump pit. They offer a video on how to do it as well as other helpful “stuff”

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This