Posting on this Forum

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Posting on this Forum

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Avatar photoracefanone.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Mr Moderator. I apreciate & respect your position as moderator. But I find that the arbitrary deletion of postings that conform with the rules of the forum dificult to swallow.
        The Master Plumbers Logo is to “Protect the Health of the Nation”
        You stated that you were not a licensed Plumber, & went on to refer to the rules of the Forum, & later my post & Racefanone’s post was removed or deleted.
        This forum is for Proffessional Plumbers to provide help to People, be they Plumbers or leypeople.
        I am a Fully Licensed Plumber Drainer & Gasfitter Trading as a Licensed Contractor, I believe that this entitles me to “Help” Providing I am not Slanderous or Offensive with my replies.
        In the interests of “Health”, it is sometimes the best advice to suggest that people who have in their post stated their lack of knowledge, should contact a Licensed Plumber.
        The rules of the “Forum” state that Offensive or Slanderous replies will be removed.
        To arbitrarily decide that an answer which is neither Offensive or Slandeous and which is to the person posting the reply the best outcome, is in itself “Offensive” & at the least an attack on freadom of speach.
        If the postings were deleted because of a later response, then I apologise, however I question why the offensive post itself wasnt deleted.
        I await your reply
        Bob

Participant

I also would like to know what is offensive or slanderous about telling someone to call a plumber.I have been a licensed master plumber and licensed master gasfitter for 35 years.Wha t qualifies you , Mr Aldrich? As you stated you are not a plumber.Evidently you never have seen how bad some people can mess up plumbing systems and cause serious health hazzards.So go ahead and delete this if you want.It will be your last opportunity to do so from me.

Participant

With only about 20 years in the trade as a Journeyman (I never applied for the Master’s License, but I would qualify for it…here it’s a matter of incorporating yourself as a contractor and paying extra fees, and I never wanted to do that), I don’t have the level of authority that Morton and racefanone have. These two have been in the trade longer than I, and I respect their opinions…especially as I have read their posts and it is clear to me that they know whereof the speak.

That being said, I am perplexed by Morton’s post. I missed the censoring that he refers to, I guess. I don’t recall any of his posts that were offensive or slanderous. We have certainly disagreed with each other, e.g., on a post regarding unlicensed plumbing work by homeowners. That was a friendly exchange of opinions, and we ended up, I think, by courteously agreeing to disagree on the point.

What we disagreed upon was essentially a sociopolitical matter (i.e. whether unlicensed homeowners should be allowed to do their own plumbing). We both agreed that plumbing is a matter of public health and safety and that all work should pass inspection and be up to standards. And we certainly never disagreed on the scientific principles that underly the practice of the plumbing trade.

So, despite my not knowing what got their goats, Morton and racefanone seem to me like fine-business plumbers.

NtP

Participant

Bob, thanks for initiating this discussion. It has taken a couple of days to respond because of intense work commitments here in the spring of the year.

>“Mr Moderator. I apreciate & respect your position as moderator. But I find that the arbitrary deletion of postings that conform with the rules of the forum dificult to swallow.”<

>“If the postings were deleted because of a later response, then I apologise, however I question why the offensive post itself wasnt deleted.
              I await your reply”<

I must apologize for deleting your response to Racefanone’s first response to FrdPrefct’s inquiry. I simply got carried away with my power to delete messages when the discussion started to deteriorate. I guess I decided to allow a fresh start of the discussion.

This is an “absolute” power, which has been bestowed upon me, and as you have probably heard “Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.”

If you would like to take over my honorable and powerful position as the forum moderator, then send an e-mail to Ed and Lorenzo requesting that you be blessed with this title and responsibility. I have been the forum moderator for about 2-years, I have no objection to a change, and perhaps it is time for Robert Stephen Morton to have the ability to wield all of this power and authority. :>)

My guess is that the reason that I have been selected to fill this honorable and powerful position is that I was the only person in the whole world that would except the job. It is a thankless job, and requires a substantial time commitment. I don’t mind providing the service for I enjoy the discussions, and have learned a great deal about the plumbing industry on a global scale.

>“This forum is for Proffessional Plumbers to provide help to People, be they Plumbers or leypeople.” <

I have pasted below the exact wording contained in the Drainage and Sewerage Bulletin Board defining the purpose of the forum.

Our Help Forum is provided to assist those seeking information about Plumbing, Drainage, Gasfitting and related industries.

>“I am a Fully Licensed Plumber Drainer & Gasfitter Trading as a Licensed Contractor, I believe that this entitles me to “Help” Providing I am not Slanderous or Offensive with my replies. In the interests of “Health”, it is sometimes the best advice to suggest that people who have in their post stated their lack of knowledge, should contact a Licensed Plumber.”<

I agree, there are some inquiries about some subjects that indicate that a professional Licensed Master Plumber should be hired to do the work. However, in my opinion, this particular inquiry is not in that category. It appears that Nicktheplumber assessed the situation and provided excellent guidance, and genuine help in responding to the inquiry. Now it requires a significant time commitment to compose and post a response that is complete, detailed, and correct such as NTP’s response. Significantly more time than a three-word response, that really provides no help, guidance, nor information.

Thanks again for opening the discussion.

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)

Participant

Racefanone, I must apologize for deleting your first response to FrdPrefct, although I am sure that FrdPrefct was looking forward to more information, and help than “Call a plumber”. You are correct, there was nothing offensive or slanderous about telling someone to call a plumber. Thank you for providing your best effort. I did, however, take offense in your advice for me to “Get a Life.” Part of my life is acting as an unpaid moderator of this excellent forum and smart*** remarks directed toward me do not make this part of my life any easier.

“What qualifies you, Mr. Aldrich?”

I have 27 years of experience in the field of on-site sewage treatment system design and construction. I respond only to those inquiries pertaining to my field of expertise, or to inquiries of which I am sure of the answer. I do not engage in self-serving blustering, personal attacks, and name calling. I also make a great effort to insure correct spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and English grammar in my responses. In addition to my abilities in the use of the English language, composing complete answers to inquiries with the words correctly spelled, I have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of plumbing. Twenty-two years ago, with the help of an excellent “DIY Plumbing Handbook”, I replaced all of the plumbing in my 140-year old house, here in Timnath, Colorado. The plumbing was inspected, and approved by the Larimer County Plumbing Inspector, and has been trouble free all of these years.

I also installed the plumbing, valve complexes, pressure tanks, and chlorinating systems for several well houses that serve as public water supplies. Three of the well houses are connected to underground storage reservoirs. The reservoirs provide elevated storage of 50,000 gallons of water to fill potable water delivery trucks. The developments are in the mountains, and consist of recreational, weekend use cabins. Most cabin owners have a cistern for their water supply.

I guess that these attributes, and experiences “qualify” me to act as a forum moderator. I have been the “Drainage and Sewerage Bulletin Board” moderator for about two years. If you would like to take on this responsibility, I would gladly defer to your desire to be the forum moderator. I am sure that if you sent an e-mail to Ed and Lorenzo requesting to be blessed with this title and responsibility, and if they knew that I have no objection to a change, then you too could wield all of this power and authority. My guess is that the reason that I have been selected to fill this honorable and powerful position is that I was the only person in the whole world that would except the job.

“As you stated you are not a plumber. Evidently you never have seen how bad some people can mess up plumbing systems and cause serious health hazzards”

I have seen many examples of “messed up plumbing systems”, some that were installed by so-called “Professionals”. But, I have also witnessed excellent plumbing installations completed by homeowners with just a modicum of mechanical ability, and the intelligence to seek assistance and guidance from plumbing handbooks, from the Internet, and from discussion forums like MasterPlumbers.com.

“So go ahead and delete this if you want.It will be your last opportunity to do so from me.”

Well Racefanone, I will not delete your discussion. I hope that you will accept my apology and reconsider your decision to discontinue participation on this forum.

Participant

Mr Aldrich, I told you get a life after you came back with your first reply.I did that because I felt your reply was uncalled for . Perhaps I should have explained my reason for telling the poster to call a plumber in more detail. I accept your apology,thanks for the reply.

Participant

nicktheplumber, I made some remarks about racefanone’s first response to this inquiry. He submitted a 3-word response that simply said, “Call a plumber”. Bob then submitted a response supporting racefanone’s advice. racefanone then took offense at my criticism of his response, and felt that my remarks were uncalled for. I disagree. He then posted another response suggesting that I “Get a Life.” That is when I decided to delete all of the responses and give the discussion a fresh start so to speak. Evidently, when I deleted all of the responses, this deed irritated both racefanone and Bob. I suppose that you submitted your excellent response after I deleted all the responses.

>So, despite my not knowing what got their goats, Morton and racefanone seem to me like fine-business plumbers.<

I agree, and thanks for your input. By the way, it would be rude of me to not offer you the opportunity to become the forum moderator. It is not that I am trying to get rid of the job, it is just in the interest of fairness. I think that it is only fair to allow others to experience the power, and enjoy the benefits of being the forum moderator, a most noble and honorable position.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

Mr Moderator. I accept your appology & decline your offer.
                      In Australia there is a popular joke about volunteering & I hope that you dont delete it because it may offend I will try to clean it up & it is on topic.
                      When Ausies go out camping or working in the scrub, there is normally a cook designated. This cook must cook until someone complains about the food.
                      Once upon a time a group of fellas went shooting Kangaroos & camped for the duration of the trip , a cook was designated & all was well, after about a month the cook had tried everything to get out of cooking, he was in despair & no one would complain.
                      One morning on one of his excursions to do his ablutions he happened to turn around to check out his deposit & a cheeky smile came over his face & he gathered it up.
                      That night he rolled it in bread crumbs & deep fried them, then served the “sausages”.
                      One bloke started eating & spat the moutfull out & exclaimed “Thats Sh*t!!!!”. The cook raced over & said What was that? & the exclaimer said “Thats Sh*t!!” But then said “But its well cooked”.
                      No John you are stuck with it. But You must remember that with the responsibility to be censor comes the responsibility to not stifle debate. The excercising of that power should be the last option & only used when there is no other option.
                      Happy cooking John.
                      Regards Bob

Participant

racefanone, thanks!! Hey, what about you being the forum moderator? Here is your chance. You can include this on your resume, and the income derived for providing the services are tax exempt. Well it is not tax exempt but, a twentyfive percent tax on $0.00 is $0.00.

Participant

Thanks but no thanks ,John. I’m sure it is not an easy task,thanks to guys like me.Who knows one of these days I might run into you.I have relation in Denver and in Littleton,Colorado.It,s about a 6 hour drive from where I live.Want me to bring the boxing gloves?LOL Have a good one.

Participant

Bob, thanks for the great story, I will, with your permission, use it on some occasion in the future. :>0 Perhaps Lorenzo and Ed could implement the same rule when the performance of the forum moderator is questioned.

And thanks for the compliment! ……………..I think?????

Participant

racefanone, there is no need for boxing gloves, I am proudly non-violent, and am content to do battle with my mind. I would very much like to meet you some day. Give me a call before your next trip to Colorado so that I can prepare some special “Timnath Sausages” to grill on the Barbie.

Participant

I don’t know what the bad language or “dicey discussion” that was posted and I am entering this discussion without the full story, but I think(therefore I should probably not repond), that If Mr. Aldrich (sp), is the moderator he is doing a fine job. He has offered me me advise in a reply to a client that helped me a lot. Stay with it Mr. Aldrich (sp)!! but please do not restrict good discussion. If the discussion is liable (sp) or has bad language you are perfectly right in you deletion. As a web person, I understand that you are probably not compenstated as you should be, but this forum, with your direction, is greatly appreciatied. That is all I have to say.

Sgrabiel

Participant

Sgrabiel, thanks for the kind words, but you are mistaken to believe that I attempted to stifle discussion. I wrote a response that I thought would encourage, and expand the discussion.

>As a web person, I understand that you are probably not compenstated as you should be, but this forum, with your direction, is greatly appreciatied.<

I am not a “web person”, am not employed by MasterPlumbers.com and receive no compensation for being the forum moderator (don’t want to be paid). I am simply notified of every new post, and every response that is posted on the Drainage and Sewerage Bulletin Board. I must read every submittal, and determine whether or not it is fit to remain on the forum bulletin board.

I then have “absolute Power” as to which messages appear on the forum, and have the ability to edit, or delete any message posted on the Bulletin Board.

In my other life, I am a Septic System Consultant. I have been involved with the design, and construction of individual on-site sewage treatment systems for 27 years. I also respond to inquiries on the forum when the inquiries pertain to septic systems.

Now I have been the forum moderator for over two years. If you would like to enjoy the benefits, and the absolute power that this most honorable positiion offers. then write an e-mail to Ed or Lorenzo at MasterPlumbers.com and express your desire to become the Drainage and Sewerage Bulletin Board Forum Moderator. I will be happy to continue, but I will also be happy to support you as the man for the Job if you want it.

So in the mean time, I think that I will go and create some special “Timnath Sausages.” After all, I may be receiving guests to enjoy Breaded Timnath Sausage from the Barbie.

Participant

Hey John, would it be ok if I passed on the sausages? :

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This