damaged leach lines

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage damaged leach lines

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

A tractor was driven over the leach lines of my septic system a couple of years ago. At the time, the soil over the lines was quite damp and the tractor tires sunk down into the soil. Since then, we often have a strong sewage smell from the area that was driven over. There are 4 or 5 leach lines from the septic system and I think just one was damaged. Could the smell be eliminated by covering this area with more soil?

Kaye

Participant

Kaye, if the tractor tires compressed the soil over the leach field so that septic tank effluent pools in the ruts and is exposed to the atmosphere, then fill in the ruts with soil. The odorous hydrogen sulfide gas being released from the septic tank effluent will be eliminated (oxidized) by the oxygen in the air between the soil pores.

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)
          Septic System Consultant
          Timnath, Colorado USA

» This message has been edited by John Aldrich on 12 February 2003

Participant

A belated “thank you” for your reply to my last question concerning the leach line. We haven’t gotten around to covering the leach line with soil because it’s been so rainy here (NC)and the entire yard is a big mess! We live in clay country and the water just seems to puddle. Since my initial posting, we have another problem that may or may not be connected to the damaged leach line. Near that same area the water was bubbling right up out of the ground last week. Someone told me that the earth is so saturated that the water can only go up out of the ground. Another thing – quite often one of the toilets in the downstairs bathroom seems to gurgle a little after flushing – could this all be connected? The house was built less than 3 years ago. We have a very shallow septic system.
            Any solutions/answers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
            Kaye

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This