SPECTIC TANK ODOR OUTSIDE–NEW CONSTUCTION

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage SPECTIC TANK ODOR OUTSIDE–NEW CONSTUCTION

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We just moved into a new home in the mountains. We have a septic tank when has vents on the roof. When we go out on the deck … the odor is bad!!

My questions are: Does the vent need to be above the highest roofline? Is there some kind of filter we can add to the vent? What are other options?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Participant

MountainGirl, check out the Sweet Air Activated Carbon Roof Vent Filter at these websites:
          http://www.richardseptic.com/catalog/accessories.htm

http://www.sweetfilter.com/

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)
          Septic System Consultant
          Timnath, Colorado USA

» This message has been edited by John Aldrich on 09 January 2003

Participant

You can put a trap in the main sewer line outside. I did that 5 yrs. ago for the same reason.

Participant

MountainGirl, while I agree that a whole house trap may solve the odorous roof vent problem, please be aware that in many jurisdictions whole house traps are prohibited. The reason for the prohibition is that the trap increases the potential for sewer pipe clogging, and it is difficult, maybe impossible, to run a snake through the trap. In addition odors may still be produced in the individual traps on the various, seldom used fixtures in the house which are vented to the roof vent. Also, the cost of the roof vent filters is much less than the typical cost of installing a whole house trap.

I have no doubt that the installation of the main sewer pipe trap solved the odor problem for Retired Plbg., but I think that you should be aware of the alternative approach. Contact the local regulatory agency to find out if whole house traps are allowed, and then get a cost estimate for each alternative before you decide on a course of action.

John Aldrich (Septic Tank Yank)
              Septic System Consultant
              Timnath, Colorado USA

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This