Toliet eruption

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Toliet eruption

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Help! What would cause a toliet on the third floor of a condo to erupt 3 feet in the air? We have it on video it’s no joke. Since then we have not been able to recreate the same event. Another owner on the second floor has told us that their toliet has bubbled up and over occasionally, but not to this degree. We have mold behind the toliet on the nails in the baseboard. The association for the condo hired a plumber to see if anything was wrong with the plumbing to cause this event and the plumber didn’t see anything. We have mold growing everywhere now and the insurance has investigators out but no-one knows what is causing the mold or the toliet problem as they also have not been able to recreate the toliet erupting. Anyone have any ideas?

Participant

Sometimes a strong wind will do that.

Participant

Say what? In other words ,never use your toilet on a windy day

Participant

Retired plbg,explain your reply to me,You got to be joking,right?

Participant

No I am not. But it is surprizeing to hear that. The only other thing i can say would have to do with the vent. But if it only happened once well what can I say. I saw water rasing in a bowl up and down on a windy day if wind is comming just right.

Participant

If it erupted with that much force, I would look to the sewer system. Have you contacted the local public works dept to see if they have any ideas?

I have heard of toilet ‘fountains’ being created when the DPW was using a high pressure jet to clean the sewer, and the home had inadequate venting.

If you are on the 3rd floor, it seems unlikely that a random backup would create that much hydraulic force.

Good luck!

Participant

Is there another toilet or drain fixture opposite to the one that erupted? Back-to-back?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This