Retrofit Install of Washing Maching Hookups

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Retrofit Install of Washing Maching Hookups

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

My condo doesn’t have washer/dryer hookups, so I’m going to install them in an area of my bedroom closet that is opposite my kitchen wall. I will have approx a 6ft run from the washer hookup box I’m putting in the wall to where I’m tying into the drain under my kitchen sink. My drain pipes are 1 1/2 inch ID, and I have a trap under the sink. Do I need a trap (and I guess vent) back at the washing maching drain too? Or can I get away without one with a 6ft run to the trap under the kitchen sink?

Don

Participant

Don, never have I installed a kitchen sink with an 11/2 diameter pipe ALWAYS 2″

I also never use less then a 2″ waste pipe for any washing machine as the volume being pumped could very easily tax the system in volume.

Now consider the following

1- Kitchen sink lots of grease and soap scum build up if you have a garbage disposal it makes it even worse

2- Laundry lots of lint and soap scum combined with the grease and undersized piping to boot.

Now you being from the left coast with Boxer and Feinstein I guess anything goes but

I would normally install a separate line 2″ with a stand pipe and trap and vented line for all my washing machine installations.

The venting requirements differ from each state I use the following guide lines.

A trap shall be with in 2 feet of a vent line (except floor drains then I use no more then 15 ft) and the fixture should be with in 2 feet of the trap horizontal 4 ft vertical

I cannot see how the left coast figured in a suds pressure zone using such undersized piping.

What provisions are you allowing for shock adsorbing from the solenoid valves?

What preventive measures are you figuring for back flow preventing?

Are you planning on installing a house keeping pan for the over flow of water?

This sir is a time bomb just waiting to over flow on the folks below.

Have fun

Participant

What I have under the kitchen sink is two 1 1/2″ drain pipes into the wall, one for each sink basin, that’s how the condo plumbing was constructed in 1965 when this place was built. I guess I could dedicate one of the drain pipes to the washer, and double up the two sink basins into one of the two original drain pipes. I have no other choice if I’m to install a washer, since it would be a major undertaking to remove and replace the existing plumbing from the 3rd floor to the garage level 3 floors below me (and the condo assoc. would never approve it). Thank for your response.

Don

Participant

In reply to message posted by Rocketman0:
              What I have under the kitchen sink is two 1 1/2″ drain pipes into the wall, one for each sink basin, that’s how the condo plumbing was constructed in 1965 when this place was built. I guess I could dedicate one of the drain pipes to the washer, and double up the two sink basins into one of the two original drain pipes. I have no other choice if I’m to install a washer, since it would be a major undertaking to remove and replace the existing plumbing from the 3rd floor to the garage level 3 floors below me (and the condo assoc. would never approve it). Thank for your response.

OK now your giving a little more information.

Normally TWO basins can discharge into an 11/2 line.

Find the GPM flow of your intended washing machine and figure 1 GPM equals one fixture.

Considering an 11/2 line is capable of handling 2 FU’s the rest is just plugging in the numbers.

Personally I never use less then a 2″ line good luck

Participant

Rocketman.. A washing machine will be no problem at all on an 1 1/2 drain line.Not only do the experts that write the code book say so,but I have done this many times in situations just like yours.I always try to run a washing machine on a dedicated 1 1/2 line when I can.You can do it the way you have described but be advised that you do stand a chance of having a back up into your kitchen sink.It will depend on the how clean the drain line is as well as how it is piped.Sometimes the back up may consist of suds only. Good Luck

Participant

Hey Wallingford, thanks for the response. I just talked to another guy in my condo building today that had a washer hooked up to his 1 1/2 drain in his kitchen too (same layout as mine) and he says he has no problems with it backing up.

Participant

Wallingford: I am curious what plumbing code you follow. The 2000 Uniform Plumbing Code requires a 2″ drain for a clothes washer standpipe.

Rocketman: 1-1/2 might work but . . . I would recommend that you get local expert advice. There is more to drainage systems than sizing pipe and having pipes point down-hill.
                    FYI: some codes (UPC for one) will allow a smaller (1-1/2″) trap on a laundry sink with the washer discharging into the sink.

Phil H

Participant

Phil…The national code book that I read say’s you can use 1 1/2 pipe for a residential washing machine.I still always try to use 2 inch pipe when possible.I have used 1 1/2 pipe many times and have never had a problem.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This