Smell under kitchen sink

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Smell under kitchen sink

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

For the past 3 months I’ve had a sewer smell coming from under the sink. I do have a garbage disposal but no smell is emitting from the drain.The smell started not to long after the landlord replaced the sprayer.The smell is so vial that I try not to open the cabinet under the sink.There are no other smells coming from any of the other sinks from around the house.I’m on city sewer and I’ve tried scrubbing under the sink and the pipes underneath.Please help before I decide to move just to get away from the smell.

Participant

You sure he didnt create a leak under the sink and the smell is the cupboard rotting ??

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

Bungie,
            Landlord stopped by thinking that the smell might be coming from the pipes.He gave me some kind of enviro-safe chemicals that restores & maintains bacterial levels for septic tanks.As I mentioned in my previous letter I do have city sewer.He thought maybe the growth in the pipes just needs a little help with some bacteria.I tried the stuff anyway,but after I poured it down the sink,I happened to read the label.It said to do a treatment every two weeks and when the smell is gone to do once a month.I’m wanting results now, not a month from now. I’ll be sure to let my landlord know of the possible rotting of the wood.
            Thank you for your input. srodgers

Participant

hi srodgers,

is your vent pipe for the kitchen drain stopped up? if not open, the water in your kitchen sink drain trap will be siphoned-off after every use, leaving the trap empty of water. without water to block the sewer gases you should get a hideous smell coming out of your sink. if you only smell the sewer when you open your cabinet doors you may have a hole in the trap or in the pipe behind the trap nearer the wall where the pipe exits. as for the rotting wood hypothesis, have you ever smelled rotting wood that smelled like sewer gas? me neither. your landlord’s ‘bacteria band-aide’ did not work, did it??

good luck,

BlueMonkey

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
              Participant

Methinks the Landlord orta stick to lording & leave the plumbing alone.
                Regards Bob

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This