size of pipe

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage size of pipe

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Please tell me what size of pipe we have coming up through the concrete in the building where I work. Imeasured it with a piece of string and got about 17″ around the pipe.We need to settle a dispute.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Swabbie:
          Please tell me what size of pipe we have coming up through the concrete in the building where I work. Imeasured it with a piece of string and got about 17″ around the pipe.We need to settle a dispute.

a 4″ would be around 12.56

Should be 5″ which would be 15.70 Circumference

a 6″ pipe would be around 18.85

SylvanLMP

Participant

racefanone,thanks for the reply.you were right it is 4″ cast iron.We had a plumber come out.thanks for the reply.My measurement Of 17″ was a little off. To the other guy you are wrong but thanks

Participant

He was correct for the information you gave, you just gave bad data. We can only work from the information we are given. In the computer business it is known as “GIGO”. Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Participant

I hit the wrong button too soon. Anyway he was almost correct since he gave the measurements for the inside of the pipe and you probably wrapped the string around the outside. 4″ should be about 13 3/4″ depending on the wall thickness

Participant

In reply to message posted by swabbie:
                  racefanone,thanks for the reply.you were right it is 4″ cast iron.We had a plumber come out.thanks for the reply.My measurement Of 17″ was a little off. To the other guy you are wrong but thanks

Not a problem wont be the first time or the last.

I’m Still learning everyday BT2

I just took the measurements out of the cast Iron soil pipe hand book, So I guess they also made a mis print things happen.

SylvanLMP

Participant

It is 4″cast iron water main,good grief Last time I post an this site.

Participant

Since pipe is always named by the inside diameter, the wall thickness affects the external diameter and thus the circumference. You did not mention that it was a piece of water main which has thick walls and thus a larger circumference than soil pipe. Again, without proper input our answers cannot be correct. But come back anytime.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                      Participant

Swabbie. I too would be guilty of believing that you were talking about Soil pipes, as:
                        the question was posted on the Drainage section. The pipe emanated from the floor. Please forgive our jumping to conclusions, we should ask more questions before answering.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This