Rats in Toilets! (HELP PLEASE)

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Rats in Toilets! (HELP PLEASE)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a customer who has reported rats making it up his sewer main and through the toilet only to be found dead in the toilet bowl. I need a product that will at least keep the rats out of the toilet. (Maybe a check valve that is inseted between the toilet and the flange. (Please email me at [email protected])
        nullnull

Participant

Please tell me what city this problem is occuring. I am keeping records of where the rats are infiltrating our sewer systems. When we as a group decide enough is enough this information will be helpful.
          Thank You,
          Bill
          The Local Plumber
          Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Participant

There is a flapper type check valve that can be installed in the building sewer; that should prevent anything; including rats from getting into the building drainage system. they make them for both cast iron and PVC orABS type plastic drain systems.Any good plumbing supply house should have them or be able to order one.
            Good luck! JC

Participant

The “flapper” type check valve in main sewer lines is called a back water valve.

There is a rubber sleeve that does fit under the toilet much like a vacuum breaker sleeve installed under a flushometer like a Sloan Royal

As with most mechanical devices these too are prone to failure and up keep.

The proper location of a back water valve (check valve) is in front of the building house trap (Closest to the outlet of disposal from the building) and it has to be accessible.

If you use a rubber type of check the rodents will gnaw right through it.

Remember for every action there is a reaction.
              Check valves (back water) make rodding difficult and thus they have to be able to be disassembled so the snake can pass right through it.

These device must be of an approved type that hang partially open to all free air movement to remove dangerous sewer gasses.

Best bet call the local utility in charge of the sewerage system and have them flush out this system with VERY hot water to remove any possible food source of these rodents.

UA Plumber class of 74

» This message has been edited by SylvanLMP on 30 January 2002

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This