DMV Manometer Test, How?

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage DMV Manometer Test, How?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My local code requires a 1 incnh water column manometer test on the completed DWV system of all new plumbing jobs. How is this done? [email protected]

Participant

It can only be done by capping all the roof vent lines, and installing a test ball in the sewer outlet from the building. Then the manometer is connected to a point in the drain system and pumped to the one inch level. If there are any leaks in the system, the water level will drop. This test verifies the intregrity of all the trap connections, wax seals, etc., but because of its low pressure does not push through the trap seals.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

To fourth year. In Australia we use manometers for testing Gas lines, I read your answer with interest, not that I wish that this happens in Oz, but it is a different concept of Plumbing. We use Air to test main Sewer lines at 30kpa for 3 mins, for domestic sewer lines we water test to 10 ft head we can air test domestic lines but to seal off all risers would be a big task so water is the preferred test. I believe that with the worsening situation of potable water we may have to end up with a manometer test.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
              To fourth year. In Australia we use manometers for testing Gas lines, I read your answer with interest, not that I wish that this happens in Oz, but it is a different concept of Plumbing. We use Air to test main Sewer lines at 30kpa for 3 mins, for domestic sewer lines we water test to 10 ft head we can air test domestic lines but to seal off all risers would be a big task so ures are set and we need an iwater is the preferred test. I believe that with the worsening situation of potable water we may have to end up with a manometer test.

Stephen, In the civilized parts of the united states where plumbers can read and write and there are NOT corrupt plumbing codes.
              We do test DRAINAGE with either a 10 ft head of water or 5 PSI pressure.

Now if we are checking Natural gas lines we use a manometer as it detects VERY small leaks. Never would a Qualified person use this type of test for waste lines.

Now if the fixtures are set and we need an integrity test most legitimate plumbers use either an oil of peppermint test or a smoke test

SylvanLMP

» This message has been edited by John Aldrich on 21 October 2001

Participant

If the local code requires a 1″ water column test, they will probably not accept smoke or peppermint.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This