raised the vent pipe and still smelling

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage raised the vent pipe and still smelling

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I previously posted regarding smell in my basement on chilly mornings. I took the advice given to me and raised the vent pipe above my roof line. But after a chilly morning, I am still getting smell. I am at a loss, any other ideas or suggestions? If someone could explain why this smell is only when the temperature drops at night and becomes strong in the morning after taking a shower or washing clothes. The plumber that put in the trap and vent said that if I still get a smell, that I will have to dig up my basement floor because there must be a cracked pipe. But my question is if that is the case, why wouldn’t it smell all the time??? I should also mention that the drop to the sewage line is steep and that my trap is on the inside of my house. I have no clue what to do, any help will be very much appreciated!! And in advance, thank you!!!!!

Participant

What size OUTSIDE vent pipe do you have?

You can have your local plumber contact me VIA E mail to explain how cold air is heavier then watrm air and if the vent pipe has any restriction either diameter or excessive fittings Or a long developed lenth (run) then the vent is useless.

A lot of folks dabbling in “venting” applications forget about a FAI (fresh air inlet) which allows NATURAL circulation of the venting system.

Runing a vent without providing a means of make up air like a FAI is going to cause a vacuum where the OUTSIDE air is pulled into the structure as every time a fixture is used.

Venting if properly sized and designed is a science not pot luck.

If you have any questions please feel free to E mail me and ILL be glad to give you a crash course.

SylvanLMP

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This