Sewer Vent Installation

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Sewer Vent Installation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Our outside sewer line was clogged with tree roots; it was replaced. The plumber installed about a 3-inch plastic sewer vent up the side of the house. However, the height of the vent from ground level is approximately 7 feet and only about a two feet away from the bathroom window. Although we had requested that the vent go through the soffit and extend beyond the roof line, we got this instead.

Isn’t this a safety issue? I’m very concerned for the safety of our renters who recently moved in.
        Our plumber doesn’t think this is a big deal, but since I haven’t seen anything quite like this before, I’m very worried.

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Participant

Hi Jim, I have no idea what Forrest your so called “plumber” crawled out from BUT normally a FAI (fresh air inlet) is half the size of the building house drain and 3″ minimum.

Under no circumstances should any vent terminate under an opening that would allow the carcinogenic foul fumes from re-entering a building.

There are not only height requirements for venting But horizontal distances also that must be taken into consideration.

You see Jim, “sewer gases” can contain hydrogen sulfide which is a flammable poisonous gas that has an odor suggestive of rotten eggs and is found esp. in many mineral waters and in putrefying matter, and of course

Methane which is a colorless odorless flammable gaseous hydrocarbon that is a product of decomposition of organic matter.

Then there are airborne bacteria like hepatitis an acute usu. benign hepatitis caused by an RNA virus that does not persist in the blood serum, and is transmitted esp. in food and water contaminated with infected fecal matter, SEWERS huh?

There are a host of other great cancer causing things that hibernate in sewers, BUT I think you have a good idea why PROPER venting is so very important.

And here you thought us plumbers only protected the health of the world with a plunger, huh?

Want to know about more of the dangers lurking in vent and sewer lines please feel free to E mail me.

Have a good day!
          [Edited by John Aldrich on 05 September 2001]

Participant

Jim,
            Sylvan covered the health issues but it sounds like you may have another problem by leaving plastic pipe exposed to sunlight. One model code, the Uniform Plumbing Code, does not allow ABS or PVC DWV pipe to be left exposed to sunlight except the portion that goes through the roof. And, that portion must be protected with water based synthetic paint.
            Phil

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Phil H:
              Jim,
              Sylvan covered the health issues but it sounds like you may have another problem by leaving plastic pipe exposed to sunlight. One model code, the Uniform Plumbing Code, does not allow ABS or PVC DWV pipe to be left exposed to sunlight except the portion that goes through the roof. And, that portion must be protected with water based synthetic paint.
              Phil

Great Point Phil,

ILL bet the person who asked the origional question is now wondering about how the heck am I going to fix this mess :-(

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This