venting to ridge vent only

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage venting to ridge vent only

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m ready to roof my new house except I don’t have my stink pipe or vents in yet. Would it be feasible to vent up to the ridge vent below the roof or would that not work properly? I would like to avoid penetrating the roof if possible. Thanks for any comments.

Participant

ArmdiverCheck with your local plumbing authority.I have heard in some states it is legal to vent in the attic as long as you have vents in the sides of the house,but dont quote me on that.Iwould vent out the roof .Why would you want the smell in the attic area with the risk of it stinking up the whole house?

Participant

I don’t want any stink in my attic area or run any risk of stinking up the house, that’s why I was inquiring if I could vent right up to the ridge vent that runs along the peak of the house where the fumes would leave the attic. I thought maybe someone in the trade could advise me on this. I realize that it is common practice to vent thru the roof, but I wondered if it was actually necessary. As far as checking with the local code, there is none. This is strictly my project and I’m on my own and want to roof my house as soon as possible, but am considering venting only to the ridge vent, if and only if the fumes will leave the attic at that point. All comments are appreciated.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

Armdiver. Ever heard of an inversion layer? when this event occurs, the stink will fall. in Australia a vent pipe has to terminate 3m (10ft)horizontally or 2m (6’6″) vertically from any chimney or similar vent. I believe that it would be prudent to follow a similar rule in USA.

Participant

Thanks for the advice. No I’ve not heard of “inversion layer”. I’ll plan on taking my vents through the roof. I was hoping the gases and smells would go out the ridge vent with the other attic gases or “hot air”. It probably wouldn’t work that way. I was trying to avoid penetrating the roof so I could go ahead and put the shingles on without having to worry about where to place the vent pipes. Thanks for the response.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                Participant

Armdriver. Sometimes you may have seen smoke from a chimney falling or even rising & then forming a layer. that is typical of an inversion layer. I have seen where a vent pipe terminates & the smell just permeates the air in a still area outside the house, mainly on cold days, all you can do is extend or relocate the termination of the vent to a more exposed area of the roof. Ask a pilot how inversion works. Maybe Silvan can be of help.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This