Drain pipe in outside wall?

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Drain pipe in outside wall?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am planning to move my washer/dryer to a 2nd floor closet. Can I run the 2″ drain pipe inside an outside wall cavity?

The wall is insulated with fiberglass batts, so the pipe will have to compress it on one side. Any difference weather I use PVC or copper (existing drain pipes are copper)? Would freezing be a problem in winter? I can probably get the hot and cold water lines through an inside wall if I use PEX. Thanks for any help.

Participant

Can I run the 2″ drain pipe inside an outside wall cavity? Perhaps, it really depends on how the building is constructed, not just how the wall is constucted. What structural members the drain and vent pipe must penatrate etc.

Any difference whether I use PVC or copper? Yes there are difference between PVC, ABS, Copper, and Cast Iron and people will argue over which is best until the cows come home.

Would freezing be a problem in winter? It could be. Particularly where water sits in the trap. I am not familiar with cold climate plumbing but there are also problems of small vent terminals freezing.

I am not a fan of Pex. You can call me old fashioned but I do not care to argue about it.

Phil H

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This