Roof vent vis-a-vis window

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Roof vent vis-a-vis window

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

or anyone else who can help us…

I read something about being able to put a roof vent 3′ over a window. Does this mean, vent it in the roof directly over the window and use a 3′ stack above the roof, or have the vent on the roof in line with the window, but three feet back toward the ridge?

Any help would be appreciated. We’re not intending to do the work ourselves, but we’ve had bad experiences with contractors in the past and want to make sure we know whether the person we hire is doing it right.

Thanks

Thanks

Participant

Either one, but if this window will be opened, given the unpredicability of air currents, you could still get odors in the house. Why use the minimum distance. If possible place it as far from windows as you can.

Participant

The vent terminal shall pass through the roof at least 24″ above the roof IF this roof is used for weather protection ONLY if used for any purpose other then weather protection then the pipe shall be 7 feet ABOVE the roof.

The minimum size of the roof terminal according to GOOD plumbing practices is 4″ diameter
            ( prevents hoar frost)

No vent terminal shall be located below any door or operable window or adjacent building with in 10 feet horizontally Unless it is at least 3 feet above the top of such opening.

NO EXTENSIONS shall run through an exterior wall (WINDOW)

Check your local codes but remember codes only set up minimum guide lines.

Please feel free to send me an E mail and ILL explain WHY we professionals install the vents in this manner.

[Edited by John Aldrich on 29 April 2001]

Participant

One more point about BASIC codes regarding a 3″ opening which is just a point if information.

A Fresh Air Inlet ( F.A.I ) is by proper design 1/2 the size of the building house drain or main trap BUT no case less then 3″

this F.A.I shall be located at least 6″ above grade and have a metal plate or return bend installed to prevent vandalism.

The size of the holes for this plate shall afford full flow.

In other words if the F.A.I is 3″ you would need 36 1/2″ holes to give you the same area Or if you used 1/8th inch holes you would have to drill 576 to give you the same area if you used 3/8 holes you would only need 64

[Edited by John Aldrich on 29 April 2001]

Participant

The minimum size of the roof terminal according to good plumbing practices is not 4″ diameter.The size will vary from state to state.Even in cold states 4″ is not alway’s required.I would ask a local plumber who doesn’t have narrow minded views.

Participant

[Edited by John Aldrich on 30 April 2001]

Participant

SYLVAN!
                    [Edited by John Aldrich on 30 April 2001]

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Wallingford Plm +Htg:
                      The minimum size of the roof terminal according to good plumbing practices is not 4″ diameter.The size will vary from state to state.Even in cold states 4″ is not alway’s required.I would ask a local plumber who doesn’t have narrow minded views.

The code sets minimum guide lines.

By the way Sylvan, I also use a 4″ VTR as it is just good plumbing.

[Edited by John Aldrich on 02 May 2001]

Participant
                        Quote:
                        Originally posted by PlumbBob:

The code sets minimum guide lines.

By the way Sylvan, I also use a 4″ VTR as it is just good plumbing.

PlumbBob
                        [Edited by Moderator on 23 May 2001]

Participant

What the hell is going on here?

Someone asks Sylvan a question and John edits everything.

;(
                          [Edited by Moderator on 23 May 2001]

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This