SOIL VENT STACK

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage SOIL VENT STACK

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING A WALL BACK IN MY BATHROOM, IT INVOLVES MOVING THE SOIL STACK. MY QUESTION IS THIS, DOES THE SOIL STACK HAVE TO RUN STRAIGHT UP THROUGH THE FLOOR AND THE CEILING OR CAN I HAVE A FEW ANGLES IN IT ON ITS WAY THROUGH THE FLOOR AND TO THE ROOF?

Participant

Hi Jack yes you can offset a main vent stack with 45 degree or 90 degree fittings BUT here is the clincher.

The better codes frown upon scaling materials to be used on a vent pipe with an angle less 45 degrees.

For example a 1/4 bend (90 degree fitting) Not really a good thing to do.) 1/8 Bend = 45 OK to use 1/16 bend =221/2 1/32 bend etc

are all good to use for offsetting main vent stacks

What you can do if plastic is not allowed in your area is use either galvanized wrought or galvanized steel Or no hub cast Iron Or just refrain from square breaks.

The problem with the older extra heavy gray uncoated cast Iron venting systems was scale build up blocking the elbow (called 1/4 bends in the trade) so provisions were made for a wash down by allowing one fixture to drain into this main vent stack normally a basin was used.

One more point when going through the roof you should go full size with a minimum size of 4″ dia with a proper flashing collar .

Participant

Jack You should check your local codes to see what size stack is required.In some areas the vent stack size can be run in 2″ pipe.A 3 or 4″inch stack may no longer be required.This could make your job much easier.The size that you stub through the roof will also vary depending on where you live.A call to your local inspector should answer all your questions.Good Luck

Participant

Jack, being a professional plumber one of the very 1st things that is required is we learn to READ and understand.

This is why we suggest one size pipe over another.

I did not pick 4″ vent terminal out of the air I did pick this size for the following reasons

Knowing your from Green bay WI, I know you have some pretty cold days there and also knowing that any pipe diameter smaller then 4″ is subject to hoarfrost (vent closure) I would strongly recommend you would contact a real plumber and ask them about what happens when a vent pipe fails to allow the pressure to equalize?

Unfortunately folks who say look at the code do not know the “codes” set up minimum guide lines.

If someone were foolish enough to use a 2″ vent terminal without offering some type of protection against leaves or squirrels from entering and causing a blockage then why bother venting at all?

Hoarfrost is a very real possibility and the non skilled who have no real training in plumbing would not know the reason to increase a vent pipe or about the simple protection of trap seals due to oscillation.

Venting is not a hit and miss application or even going by bare bottom designs.

Suppose you did use a 2″ pipe and it got blocked up do you think the plumbers service call to correct this condition would be cheaper then if you did the job right the 1st time? The worst thing in plumbing cutting costs to save NOTHING

Today more then ever the quality in training is long gone, a lot of folks install a pipe having no clue as to how to size it they do it because someone else told them this is the way to go.

Have a great one. I can now see why tyou should try to do it yourself.

Participant

Sylvan..If know so much about Jack of all trades why didn”t you talk to him on the phone?If this poster is for real and not someone you made up how would I know where he lives if it’s not included in his posting?The size of the vent through the roof will vary from state to state.New York city doesn”t require a 4′ stack for frost protection, but then you think your better than the Boca officials who make the codes.I guess you can add “code Writer”to your resume.This is typical of your overkill attitude.Your scare tactics must be making you a wealthy man.

Participant

If poster is for real and not someone you made up how would I know where he lives if it’s not included in his posting?

Well Wall If you knew how to read then You would know codes and best of all you would learn things like the following . Can I ask you something Why do you tell folks your a plumber?

Every plumber I know can read and understand .

Here is how I GUESSED where Jack lives LMAO.WallFraud you are really thick huh?Date Registered:

16 March 2001
                  Total Posts: 1
                  Current Email: Not available.
                  Homepage: http://
                  Company/Experience:

READING and understanding is a MARVELOUS THING..
                  wow I can imagine what kind of heating “expert” you must be LOL

Hey Wallfraud if a pipe is 3″ diameter and water is flowing at the rate of 8 FPS wallfraud how many GPM is this

Hell WALLFRAUD what is the force os a pipe 110ft high 8″ dia come on “plumber and heating ” you must know this 2nd year apprentice answer to this question

Hey heating “expert” at 216 degrees what is the pressure of this steam?

SEE I gave you an answer to your Question now please give me the answers to these “plumbing” questions ok Fraud?

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Wallingford Plm+Htg:
                    Sylvan..If know so much about Jack of all trades why didn”t you talk to him on the phone?If this poster is for real and not someone you made up how would I know where he lives if it’s not included in his posting?The size of the vent through the roof will vary from state to state.New York city doesn”t require a 4′ stack for frost protection, but then you think your better than the Boca officials who make the codes.I guess you can add “code Writer”to your resume.This is typical of your overkill attitude.Your scare tactics must be making you a wealthy man.

Now that YOU asked little boy here are some of my qualifications

Company/Experience: Master Plumber/Master Fire Supression Piping Contractor/Certified Drainer/ Licensed Master Gas Fitter/Licensed Master Steam Fitter/ Federally approved Low pressure boiler and Unfired pressure vessel inspector,Federally Certified Stationary Engineer Certified for high pressure steam operations and Asorbsion systems.Certified United Association Of Plumbers of the United States and Canada as a Class A Journeyman.
                    Welding instructor/Plumbing code/OSHA Certified Inspector for constructtion safety/ASME section IV and NBBI Inspector/ Member NFPA /PHCC Co-owner PIPDL discussion group/Author/lecturer/Consultant/Expert witness.

Wall FRAUD arnt you glad you asked?

Actually being in the Navy at 17 years old did help me with the high pressure steam and welding training.

At 21 I managed to get into a 5 year plumbing apprenticeship.

Oklahoma University “training” did help with my boiler and pressure inspection and being a certified Stationary helped with my learning of the refrigeration cycle like compressor condenser metering devices and storage tanks and evaporators etc LOL

About being a wealthy man WELL I did officially retire at 40 years old BUT I got bored so opened up another plumbing company and started collecting masters licenses and work part time as a consultant.

WallFRAUD think about it If you actually tried to learn something about the trade you too would be a wealthy man instead of trying to get over with bottom of the line work.

Quality plumbing/heating and fire suppression systems allow me live in a comfortable life style.

Would you care to wash my Mercedes?

Giving folks Quality and standing behind your work is the real way to make money dude.

My top employee makes slightly over $55 per HR in the envelope.

Not including benifits

I can afford to hire top notch employees as they KNOW their job and I learned at very young age Perfection is not an accident.

If you really want to learn this trade E mail me. I could use a helper to clean the vans and in return ILL teach you a trade BUT it will take you a full 10 YEARS to be a real plumber with 5 of those years gong to school.

Have a great one Fraud.. Hey you asked and I answered you kid

Imagine Quitting high school at 16 then be coming self made. WallFraud TSK, TSK your lacking of plumbing skills is still showing.

Next time Quote a real code dude.

Participant

The size of the vent through the roof will vary from state to state.New York city doesn”t require a 4′ stack for frost protection, but then you think your better than the Boca officials who make the codes.

Education TIME for the Fraud

Ok Wall Fraud lets try to think like your semi skilled.

Why did BOCA pick 4″ and not 1″ or 8″

Does 4″ sound like amagic number?

Or could it possibly be the folks who do plumbing know that in colder climents. You go guy tell me everything you know in one word LOL

Participant

Please keep ontopic

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This