Toilet relo–drain question

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Toilet relo–drain question

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a project that involves relocating a toilet about 5.5 feet from its current location. The toilet is on the second floor, and it currently sets directly on top of a cast iron drain stack. The stack drops down through a wall on the first floor, and I’m not sure of its diameter.

Fortunately, the floor joist space runs directly to the new location where the toilet will set. The joist space is 7.25 inches deep with a .75 inch subfloor. My question is, can I put an elbow under the new location, and another on the top of the stack, and connect them? Will it flush properly going directly into the first elbow? Is there enough depth in the cavity to accomodate the two elbows and the proper pitch? If there is not enough room for cast, I need the next best solution that will fit. There is NO WAY to relocate the stack to the new location. The new location is inside the ceiling of the room below. The toilet must be moved, and the stack must stay.

I cannot lower the second elbow below the ceiling level to get more pitch, but I can shove its collar down into the wall cavity until the curve stops it. I can raise the toilet above the floor up to 1.5 inches if needed (but I would rather not).

Before I start ripping things apart, how do I make this work? Thanks in advance.

Participant

Fortunately, the floor joist space runs directly to the new location where the toilet will set. The joist space is 7.25 inches deep with a .75 inch subfloor. My question is, can I put an elbow under the new location, and another on the top of the stack, and connect them? Will it flush properly going directly into the first elbow? <SNIP

Tough call YOU just may have enough room with the following IF your code allows the following

You could possibly use a 3″ copper street ELL with a copper floor flange attached (DWV fitting)

Then on the horizontal use type “L” copper not the thin DWV type.

Normally a 3″ soil pipe is fine for one WC especially if your using the low flow types.

You can use (If your code allows) A mission coupling Copper Cast Iron DO NOT USE FERNCO.

Personally I would use 95-5 solder for strenth BUT you can use lead free if it is easier to use.

The copper takes up less space then cast Iron gives a smoth flow and a short radius fitting is normally allowed from vertical to horizontal.

CHECK local codes and center to Center radius BEFORE starting this project and please dont forget your 2″ vent line other wise you will have an air bound system

GOOD LUCK

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This