Clay sewer, help!

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Clay sewer, help!

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photoSylvanLMP.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

First a question, then a description of the problem: What type of plumber should I call and what service likely needs to be performed? I live in a 101-year-old home in a city. The house has one main vertical waste stack (PVC)that enters what appears to be a 12″ clay pipe whose head protrudes 5″ above basement floor grade. Under the basement concrete (only 1.5″ thick) there are four 4″ clay drains (one old toilet-removed, shower drain-removed, floor drain-in use, and one old kitchen sink drain-not in use) that run into the main horizontal clay drain (also 12″). The problem is this: I dug up a small hole in the floor to check out the horizontal drain and found it cracked (a hole really) on top with sewage standing in it. Flushing a toilet causes a surge in the standing sewage, but it does not really flow rapidly. I want to update the old clay, but don’t know where the covered pipes run, or where they exit the home. Who should I call, what should I consider having done, and what is a ballpark figure for cost? Thanks for any advice!

Participant

There are only two kinds of plumbers. Good ones and bad ones. You need a good one to check your system and see what you have. That 12″ sewer is illogical since most cities only use 8″ for their street mains. Your house drain should only be 4″ or 6″ at the largest.

Participant

I want to update the old clay, but don’t know where the covered pipes run, or where they exit the home. Who should I call, what should I consider having done, and what is a ballpark figure for cost? Thanks for any advice!

Excuse me J BUT can I ask a few questions?

Is this pipe 100 ft long or a 1,000 ft to the main area of disposal?

Is this piping only 4″ in diameter or 6″

Is the labor rate near you $35.00 per hr for a plumber or $225 per hr?

Are you looking to install extra heavy cast Iron uncoated ( It doesnt hide defects like coated Cast Iron can) Or are you looking for a cheap plastic schedule job that anyone can do themselves?

What does you local code say about sizing of vents? Will you neeed a new house trap with a fresh air in let?

What kind of tampering laws are required in your area as far as compaction?

Will the old piping have to be removed and a new bed laid to protect this new piping from breaking or developing bellies?

How many NEW fixture units are being connected to this 101 year old system?

Are there any laws pertaining the passing of pipes through a foundation wall like protecting these pipes with an arch, lentil or Iron pipe sleeve.

What type of hydrostatic test and what pressure does your local code desire?

How much kick back does your local plumber have to pay to get this job inspected in a timely manor.

are you looking for a licensed Master Plumber or someone who dabbles in plummmmin.

Will a back hoe be needed for the street openng?

How much does the city require in bonding insurance incase of a cave in?

Can YOU gve me a ball park number from left field on the total anount of hand digging that maybe required due to locality lines that may be present?

What type of back fill did the origional installer use can we reuse it as “clean fill” as required by good plumbing practices?

What is the soil conditions pH an is the new piping compatable with soil conditions?

Sorry but sight unseen it is impossible to even guesstimate a price?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This