leaking from underneath!!!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing leaking from underneath!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Dear Sirs/Madams,
        My Husband and I noticed, three days ago, a leak coming from the ‘stand-up shower stall meets the floor area’ where the caulking is. There is a small (undear 1/4 inch) separation in the caulk line itself and the area seems to flood out onto the floor after a shower (possibly during as well, but is noticed afterward) My husband is a big man and he thought maybe the floor should have been reenforced to hold his size. It is a one peice molded resin shower stall. The house is only three years old and we haven’t seen this problem until now. I thought , if I could remove the decorative moldings from around the enclosure, and the caulking, lift it up and look under it – maybe I could see why it is leaking. I see no cracks or breaks in the floor of the shower stall itself. Could the drain somehow have been ‘adjusted’ due to the weight it receives from us? I hope you can help. A new stall and a huge bill is just not in the budget right now.
        Thank you so much,
        Laurie A. Thornton

Participant

well Laurie, heres how I’d start if you called me. Most contractor grade faucets are a little lower in quality than I like to install and one leaking in a three year old home is no surprise if thats the problem. I would pull off the handle(s) and all trim and open up the valves and have a real good look in there. it could be as simple as a packing or someone has bumped the shower head and it’s arm is cracked. good luck, jack

Participant

Sounds like the shower is leaking where you see the caulk missing.
            If you cover that area with plastic and tape, then run the shower, Does it still leak on the floor? If so than remove all old caulk and re-caulk.
            Bill
            Th Local Plumber
            http://www.thelocalplumber.com

Participant

What I meant to say is, if after covering where there is no caulk with plastic, you find it does NOT leak. Then re-caulk.
              Bill
              The Local Plumber

Participant

darn old local plumber, if the leak is between the floor and the base it seems the water is WAAAAY away from where it should be, going down the drain. how does it get there? the caulking may be bad there but that is not the cause, just the result

Participant

OK Laurie,
                  Tell us what you found out.
                  Bill
                  The Local Plumber

Participant

test order to find problem

1/ place a rag in the waste, using a bucket and a tap from elsewahere in the house, fill the tray with water and let sit.
                    2/ remove the shower rose and place a pressure gauge on the thread, turn the water on to pressure up then turn the tap off and watch the gauge to see if it drop’s
                    3/ when you are sure neither of the above cause the problem. let the water run and hit the shower screen.
                    4/ you can also fill the tray as discribed and then stand in the tray, as the waste may remain in the one spot but the tray settles under your weight and lets water past the seal on the plug and waste.

when doing the above tests, always be aware that water runs down hill. so follow any water trails back up to its source. Fix whatever problem you discover

enjoy

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
                    will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This