Help Sewer Line Problems

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Help Sewer Line Problems

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi guys!
        My house is about 30 years old. My house and my neighbors house apparently share the same sewer line out to the street. I have a vent on the outside of my house and have been noticing it has been overflowing. I had RotoRooter out and they said my line had collapsed. My next door neighbor had some one out and he seemed to be able to snake thru it and it worked for a while. I am having problems again. My house is abput 20-30 ft from the street so it’s not that long of a run. I am wondering what it is like to replace a sewer line? From my house to the street? IS there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks
        Jon

Participant

Jon,
          The things to be aware of when running a sewer line.
          1.) Where on the sewer line is there a problem? By video inspecting the line, you are able to determine the extent of the problem and the correct remedy for repairs.
          2.)How deep is the sewer line? By knowing this before hand you are able to determine how long it will take to repair.
          3.) What pipe material will be best for your sewer line? Cast iron, ABS, PVC. What pipe material is there now? My choice is always cast iron, sure sometimes it is an overkill, for residential, but when I am done I know that it will be in service for the next 50 years.
          4.)Knowing or having experience with pitch on a sewer pipe is very helpful when installing a new line.
          Our code in California requires a minimum pitch of 1/8″ per foot for 4″ waste pipe or to say it another way, for every 8 feet of pipe the pitch must be minimum 1″. So if you have 30′ of pipe to replace, the total fall on your line that you will need from start to finish will be almost 4″.
          5.) Too much pitch can give you just as many problems as not enough pitch, so experience helps alot here.
          6.) The trench shall have a bedding of sand to assure that there is no settling after backfill.The piping should also be backfilled with sand.
          7.) We always like to install clean outs, one at the begining of the new run and one at the end.
          This will remind you in the future where the new pipe begins and ends, as well as give you access to the sewer on any future blockages.
          All and all this is not a job for the novice. Your first step should be a video inspection to see if maybe the whole run does not need to be replaced.
          Good Luck,
          Bill
          The Local Plumber
          Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This