Locating clay tile blockage

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Locating clay tile blockage

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My house built in the 1930 has a step down garage & playroom floor each off the center concrete slab of the main basement. I discovered drain tiles under the playroom floor going out under the center slab for about 24′ where I can’t push the chimney cleaning rods any further. They have a slight curve so that shining a flashlight only goes a short distance. My questions are:
        1. The curve & distance hint perhaps it’s heading for the front corner where the cast iron sewer pipe looks like it leaves the house. Would they have laid clay tile next to iron sewer pipe, such that if I dig down, I might hit the clay tiles.
        2. Where eventually would the clay tiles drain the water? Into the storm sewers at the street?
        3. Is there some inexpensive mouse I could buy & push in to signal where to break into the slab if 1 doesn’t work.
        4. If I called a plumber out, what’s a ball park figure to locate the obstruction
        5. Once found, would there be any chance of clay pipe 50 years old to get water to the street or storm sewer if that’s where it’s heading. There’s a modest slope from the basement floor to the street level.

Participant

. My questions are:
          1. The curve & distance hint perhaps it’s heading for the front corner where the cast iron sewer pipe looks like it leaves the house. Would they have laid clay tile next to iron sewer pipe, such that if I dig down, I might hit the clay tiles.

Possibly as it is MUCH cheaper digging one trench then two

2. Where eventually would the clay tiles drain the water? Into the storm sewers at the street?
          no way of knowing if you dont have th origional blue prints

3. Is there some inexpensive mouse I could buy & push in to signal where to break into the slab if 1 doesn’t work.

Why BUY when you can rent a video inspection camera WITH Locator?

4. If I called a plumber out, what’s a ball park figure to locate the obstruction

I could give you a BALL PARK Figure BUT it would be from LEFT FIELD figure less then a million .
          If you contact an apprentice they work REALLY cheap, they have no idea what they are doing but they sure do talk a great job

5. Once found, would there be any chance of clay pipe 50 years old to get water to the street or storm sewer if that’s where it’s heading. There’s a modest slope from the basement floor to the street level.

YES if not too many sections are damaged

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This