health consequences of sewer gas?

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage health consequences of sewer gas?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

What are the health consequences of continual exposure to sewer gas? We
        rent a building that used to be a convent. It has many bathrooms. All but a few sinks/tubs have been turned off so there is no water but there is a horrible sewer odor that comes from various floor drains in the bathrooms. We try to remember to pour buckets of water down these but we are an office complex and it seems a strange thing to be doing. I suffer from continous headaches despite medications and now lately I have constant watery eyes, despite the season. A few other employees have complained about irritated eyes. Is it coincidental? Can we ask to have these turned back on or capped for legitimate health concern reasons?

Participant

Sewer gases comes in many forms But that is not all the good sciencetific stuff we plumbers find in waste and soil lines

hydrogen sulfide
          a flammable poisonous gas H2S that has an odor suggestive of rotten eggs and is found especially in many mineral waters and in putrefying matter

hepatitis A
          an acute usually benign hepatitis caused by a picornavirus (genus Hepatovirus) that does not persist in the blood serum and is transmitted especially in food and water contaminated with infected fecal matter — called also infectious hepatitis

methane
          a colorless odorless flammable gaseous hydrocarbon CH4 that is a product of decomposition of organic matter

Most of the “sewer gases” have been linked to several forms of cancer and other fatal dieases like

hepatitis B
          a sometimes fatal hepatitis caused by a double-stranded DNA virus (genus Orthohepadnavirus of the family Hepadnaviridae) that tends to persist in the blood serum and is transmitted especially by contact with infected blood (sanatary napkins for example) laying inside the bldg trap.

There are a lot more “sewer gases” but I think you have gotten the point Good luck.

The gases can also cause can cause neurological cancers which normally wont show up for 15 years or so.

Next time have the powers that be have a Licensed Master Plumber handle the plumbing and drainage as our motto says We protect the health of the nation.

I just hope you folks have a great medical plan Good luck.

If you need a fantastic law firm send me an E MAIL

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This