blocked transpiration trenches

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage blocked transpiration trenches

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

trenches are very slow to empty. Grease trap has just been cleaned for the first time in (maybe)10 years. The bore of the pipes appears to be clear, so I am presuming that the slots in the ag. pipe are blocked.
        Q. How can I clear them; is there a chemical i can introduce to the system that will do this & where do I obtain it ?

Participant

Forget Chemicals and forget Ditch diggers advice.

What you should do is
          1- Have the lines water jetted CHEMICAL FREE just to be sure there is no restrictions.

Now there are two schools of thought we professional drain guys have.
          One is using very hot water to scour the lines clean BUT by doing this the grease will congeal down stream possibly causing more of a problem.

2nd thought is using COLD water so the grease breaks off in chunks and flows harmlessly away.

About the actual grease trap, I find the best thing to is remove the cover and clean the baffles with high pressure washer removing them from the trap completely and scouring this device THEN follow up with BI weekly service by your staff..

its a messy Job good luck

Participant

John, need more information before an intelligent response can be given to your inquiry. Please describe more completely the type of sewage system that you have.

Are the “transpiration” trenches actually gravel filled leach field trenches in a typical soil absorption system, or does the on-site system depend upon “evapotranspiration” for final effluent disposal?

Does this system serve a single family residence, a restaurant, or other commercial establishment? (characterize the sewage)

Is the primary treatment unit a septic tank, or is it an aeration system?

What is the average daily flow volume of sewage from this facility?

What is the liquid capacity, or physical size of the grease trap, and the primary treatment unit?

Does the primary treatment unit have a filter installed in the discharge pipe?

Did you excavate a portion of the system to determine that the “bore of the pipes appears to be clear,” or did you just look into the cleanout riser to determine this?

Does the final dispersal field contain monitoring ports? If not, how did you determine that “trenches are very slow to empty?”

Is sewage effluent surfacing above the final dispersal field?

What type of pipe was used in the dispersal system? slotted, corrugated polyethylene tubing, perforated PVC leach field pipe, perforated concrete pipe, or clay drain tile?

In which region of the world is the system located, and what are the climatic, and soil conditions on the site?

Answer these questions, and provide any other pertinent details that will more fully explain the type of system that you have, and I will strive to prescribe a course of action for you to take. JWA

Participant

Here is a REALLY professional web site I have found.

I am sure this gentleman could answer all your questions without giving you excuses why they cant help you.
              http://www.apalacheeseptic.com/septic-info.htm

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This