unexplained sewer gas in closet next to bath

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage unexplained sewer gas in closet next to bath

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

my home is 5 years old. I bought it 6 months ago. 3 months ago a contractor removed 1 of the double vanity sinks in the master bath. he capped the pipes to the sink he removed. Several days ago I started getting a terrible sewer gas smell in the big closet next to the vanity. the closet is in between the laundry room & the bathroom. The closet has been completely emptied & it is the only place in the house that has the gases. The vent coming out of the roof is clear. There are no leaks or smells under the house. there are no smells in the attic. The contractor is completely puzzled. Now he suggest tearing out the dry wall. why is it just in the closet? there are no air conditioning vents in that room to circulate air. could this be why? Please help; I’m running out of money fast…& me & my son stay sick with headaches when at home..
        debbie

Participant

If sewer gases are coming out of the pipe that used to be connected to the part of the sink where water drained out of the bottom, the pipe has not been sealed off or the pipe has been broken in the process of removing the vanity.

Most municipalities will not permit an unlicensed person to dabble in plumbing. A plumbers license is required to make sure that sewer gases do not enter the home. Sewer gas is very dangerous to your health.

I suggest you get a permit for the plumbing work. Have an inspector check the work that has been done on your vanity connection. Then, hire a licensed plumber to complete the sealing of your vent piping.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This