Stink in the Drain

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Stink in the Drain

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

There is a strong odor of methane coming from several drains in my home especially the bathtub and washing machine drain. Does anyone know how I can elimate this odor?

Participant

I am a chemist, not a plumber. You are NOT smelling methane, methane is a colorless, odorless gas that is used as a fuel. When people say they smell “gas” they are actually smelling ethanthiol, an additive to give home gas its charectoristic odor.
          If it smells like rotten eggs, that is most likely hydrogen sulfide (HS2) which is dangerous. It is a waste product of different bacteria. You may want to run water down the drains if they havnt been used in awhile. If that doesn’t work, pour bleach down each drain and do NOT use them for a few hours. bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, which is a strong biocide. that would kill whatever bacteria is releasing that odor.
          good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Rich

Participant

Another solution to this smell could be to pour baking soda and vinegar into the drains, let it sit a few hours or overnight.
            Good Luck, Bill
            The Local Plumber
            Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This