Randy, if the volume and concentration of iodine is very high in the influent of a septic tank, or greywater system, it could STOP microbial reproduction and thereby eliminate the microbial digestion of the organic matter in the sewage. Find an alternative way to properly dispose of the Iodine. JWA
Hi. I am a chemist, and when we have to dispose of substances such as iodine (which believe it or not IS considered a hazardous waste in many jurisdictions), we have to dispose of it with our halogenated organic waste. Iodine is very reactive, and the heaviest (and only solid) halogen. Most areas have a day when they pick up hazadous materials, such as old batteries, etc. I would dispose of the iodine that way. Don’t just dump it, as I said, its very reactive. besides killing the bacteria by reacting with the polar ends of the cell membranes, it can also haloganate the septic tank.