Sink Hole from old Septic tank??

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Sink Hole from old Septic tank??

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi all,
        Yesterday I found hole in my backyard about 3 foot round by 2 foot deep. We have had city sewer since we bought the house 20 years ago, but my neighbor said the hole appears to be about where the previous ownerhad his septic tank. I have dug down and at 4 feet hit a metal tank of which the top was caved in. The width is about 4 foot and the depth is 2 foot …I still do not know how long it is. There is a 4inch pipe going into the side of the tank and leading towards the house. There is no odor or soil discoloration. Could this be the old septic tank or what? Can I just fill it in or should it be removed? Any ideas about how long it moght be (Im getting near the pool digging :[
        Thanks for any help!!

Participant

Bluefish, sure sounds like a septic tank to me. In Colorado when one abandons a septic tank, it is required to have the contents pumped out, and then the tank must be filled with soil. This is my recommendation to you. JWA

Participant

Whoops, posted the previous message a little to quickly. After 20+ years the contents of the old septic tank have turned into soil, so there is no need to remove the old contents. Just fill up the hole with soil. JWA

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This