Strong Sewer Smell from Vent Pipes

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Strong Sewer Smell from Vent Pipes

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

We live in a house we build in 1978 which has a septic tank. About two months ago we started smelling sewer odors outside. (Surprisingly, in an area away from the septic tank and leach lines.) We had the septic tank pumped out and new bateria added. We still smelled strong sewer odors. We finally traced them to the vent lines that run down the roofline of our house. When the wind is blowing just right (or wrong) the odor is horrific. The vent closest to the septic tank is especially bad.
        Question: what could be causing this and what can we do?

Thanks!

– Grant Bright

Participant

Try raising the vent several feet, you could have downdrafting when the wind is blowing.

Participant

Grant, I have had good results in solving this problem for several of my clients by placing “Sweet Air” Activated Carbon Vent Filters on the vents. Jim Richard of Richard Septic Systems sells them, and you can view the filter on Jim’s web page. Jim’s web page address is:
            http://www.geocities.com/richardseptic/accessories.html

JWA

Participant

Try having these lines Water Jetted
              and find out the possibility of having a vent cap installed as these caps do allow air out but prevent down drafts
              [Edited by SylvanLMP on 13 September 2000]

Participant

I would love to hear a solution to this problem. I had it with my original house, and never solved the problem. I raised the vent about 5 ft., and it didn’t seem to help. The house later burned down, and a new house was built on the original spot making use of the same septic tank but with new drain lines. I’ve been in the new house for two months, and the same problem exists.

Participant

tbrandon, “Sweet Air” Activated Vent Filters. JWA

Participant

tbrandon, Sorry, that is “Sweet Air” Activated CARBON Vent Filters. JWA

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This