Washing Machine in basement

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Washing Machine in basement

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

hj – you are the man! Thanks for the advice. I read an answer of yours back in Dec. 98 and you said to install a “P-trap in the connection to the main drain and then hang the washer hose into it” when connecting a basement washing machine to the waste line. Question – do I need to also hook up a vent line to the stack or will it drain okay w/o one?
        -brad

Participant

Brad,
          Brad,

Not venting can cause a lot of weird problems. It doesn’t just help the drain in question operate better on it’s own. It keeps the trap from getting sucked dry (letting sewer gas into your home) when other plumbing on the same line rushes water past that drain.

Which brings me to a fine point in the previous advive you read…be sure you “hang” the hose in the drain pipe as stated–it is very temping to try to create an air tight seal with duct tape or a rubber bushing. DON’T! For one thing, there is no neeed. The (properly vented) trap will keep out sewage gas. But most important, you can create a siphon effect that will suck the water from the washer as it tries to refill, causing an endless refill cycle (another thing a vent can prevent). This is not just a theory–I saw it happen on a sealed, unvented system.

Participant

Fantastic Idea Brad.

“P-trap in the connection to the main drain and then hang the washer hose into it”

Yes, this is the best idea up to date. I wish I thought of it. WOW.

The only question I have Brad is when this drain that is connected a “waste line” is blocked up and then you get raw sewerage into your drinking water what medication are you going to take for hepatitis B?

You see Brad, your fail to realize that back flow is a very real concern among “professional plumbers” and that is why we use indirect waste through an air break ESPECIALLY in a basement NO direct connection to a waste pipe.

Of course this would be VERY EXPENSIVE at least $125.

As hiring a professional so the back flow shouldn’t be a concern, and what are the real possibilities of a stoppage resulting in back flow? 1000 to 1? Do you feel lucky?

The codes are over kill I guess WHO needs a license or codes for that matter?

The main concern should always be the bottom line PRICING is the key factor.

Put it out of your mind sorry to have even brought it up.

About “venting” That also cost money as piping isn’t free so let HJ tell you how to save even more money.

Have a fantastic week end

The Licensed Master Plumber Protects the health of the nation. PREVENTION RATHER THEN CURE but hey thats only for the other guy NOT real men like HJ.

Participant

Sylvan, thanks for the advice. Yes, the obvious thing to do would be to hire a professional plumber and pay $125. I would gladly do that. Unfortunately, I live in the SF Bay Area where a) there’s nobody who can do it – just too much work around. I can’t even get anyone to build a retaining wall, and b) it would cost me about $500 for the job in this area. supply and demand. so that leaves it up to me to do it. yes, I will be doing things by code, and yes, the right way. that’s why I’m here learning how. I’m self taught in electrical with a license, so reason why I won’t have one in plumbing…

Participant

Brad, my complements for being a licensed professional even if it is electrical.

I am a CO owner of a plumbers list on the web and if you would like I would be more then honored to have you join our list.

Hot topics are discussed NOT just plumbing

As a matter of fact one of the more out spoken men on this list is Ron (drain Go) from the SF area.

What impressed me about your posting is you are not looking for the easy way out YOU took the time to get a license and learn the code and you want to do the job RIGHT and this is all that counts.

If your at all interested please E mail me and ILL have another gentleman from California contact you and sign you up.

The list I am part owner is also made up of manufacturers and even a chemist.

My CO Owner is a fine lady with an MBA degree and has slightly over 125,000 YES 125,000 Employees under her direct supervision in the Medical field.

Brad if you have any questions what so ever about doing the job right please contact me any time.

If I do not know the answer I am sure one of the experts on my list will.

Have a great week end and take care. Respectfully Sylvan

Participant

Since when has not knowing an answer kept your from answering anyway? And besides, you have already implied that you know everything already, since you are an expert in all the trades and have been a contractor in many of them.

Participant

I have a washing machine in the basement but whenever I do a load of towels it doesn’t seem to drain completely. I recently bought the house and had to add additional plastic piping to reach the standpipe. The standpipe is about 18″ tall coming out of the trap. Can I cut it down a bit to reduce the height and distance the water has to travel. I’m pumping up about 7 1/2 feet.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by hj:
                      Since when has not knowing an answer kept your from answering anyway? And besides, you have already implied that you know everything already, since you are an expert in all the trades and have been a contractor in many of them.

Hj I am only an “expert” in the fields I am duly licensed unlike you good guy. Eat your heart out dude. Too bad you dont have the education that OU offers in the trades.

HJ how many licenses do you hold?

HJ read the NEC lately?

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This