rotten eggs

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage rotten eggs

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We had our old bathroom gutted and rebuilt. It included all new plumbing fixtures and piping to the main feed.
        Now with the sink, we get the rotten-egg smell when we first turn the water on. This bathroom is used everyday.

Participant

Try clorox ( a cup) let it sit for about a half hour. Hopefully this should do it

Participant

How is clorox going to fix the problem? I do not understand.

Participant

Having the bathroom out of commission for a few days could have allowed bacteria to grow in the drain pipe (MOLD) the Clorox may kill it.
              THIS is a cheap way to start off before looking deeper into what else could also be wrong SIGHT UNSEEN. You didnt way that you had this condition prior to the new remodeling so START OFF SIMPLE

Participant

Ok, I am back…and so is the rotten egg smell. The clorox cleared it up for about a week and now its back.
                No.. I never had this problem before we renovated.
                What’s the next step? Could the wrong trap have been used?

Participant

I am still having the rotten egg problem.
                  I checked the hot water heater and its fine.
                  I did find though, that the pipe leading from the back of the trap to the wall behind the sink was pitched forward towards the trap. I since raised the pipe to pitch the opposite direction. I came across this when I took the trap off. There was too much water coming out of the pipes.
                  I also found that the overflow in the sink (Corian) is a plastic/rubber and it was all scumy inside. How can this be? Water is flowing through the pipe with no problem? I since cleaned it with clorox. THe smell did go away but seems to be coming back. Help.

Participant

I am not a plumber, but a chemist who at times is requested to do water quality analysis. The ‘rotten egg’ smell stems from organic sulfides (called “mercaptans” in most cases). It is a mercaptan that they put in natural gas that gives it its charectoristic odor. Also, mercaptans are a by-product of many varieties of bacteria (usually anerobic, but not always). Clorox is a temporary solution, but you may want to have your water tested by an EPA certified lab for bacterial contamination. I personally don’t do bacterial, only metallic and anionic contaminations, but I’m sure you can find someone there that does.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes, you picqued my interest as well.

Participant

I suspect you have iron bacteria in your water heater as I did recently. You can cure this problem by adding 1 quart Hylex per 25 gallons of water in the heater and running all hot water outlets until you smell the Hylex. Also the dishwasher and and clothes washer. Let this stand for 1 hour and then flush every thing. This worked very well with my system.
                      Good luck

quote:

Originally posted by wrichner:

Participant

ALL FIXED!
                        Turns out the problem lies in the overflow connection underneath the sink. Corian’s overflow is a rubber hose with a plastic ring around the drain pipe. The problem was with the plastic ring (Picture a wagon wheel with spokes). The drainage from the sink filtered through this device except it did not properly clear out all the soap and water. It collected and stayed there. When the plumber came back he took this piece off and was “knocked to the floor” by the smell. We temporarily washed everything in clorox. Corian admitted it was a poor design and is sending a techie over to replace the piece free of charge.
                        Thank you all for the advice!

Participant

The stink is gone!
                          Reason: Corian has a rubber overflow on the outside of the sink. This overflow connects to a ring under the sink which the waste water passes through. The ring is the problem, it does not let the waster water out properly. Corian acknowledges it as a bad design and is going to replace it for me free.

Participant

The incidence of rotten egg odor in hot water lines is due to the reaction of sulfates and micro-organisms. This is a reaction between unchlorinated water and the anode, very often untreated well water. My guess is that you only get the smell from the highest washroom in the home and only the first time you use it each day. You are releasing a small amount of gas when you first open the faucet. I am aware of three methods that should help. Chlorination by means of a chloring feeder installation. Micro-organisms will not normally grow in chlorinated water. Periodic flushing of the water heater with common household bleach. Replace the anode and flush tank with bleach. Check with your local water heater manufacturer and they should be able to help you. I suspect the overflow gasket from Corian was obsorbing the odor not generating it. Good luck.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This