Perimeter Drain Location

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Perimeter Drain Location

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Can anyone tell me excatly how far a perimeter drain should be from the house? I have heard everything from 2-4 feet to 4-6 feet (so as to not disturb exsisting soil and stability…What about obstructions??? Do I have to cut up a 12 wide deck or can I route around it? How much stone under and over the pipe? Wrap fabric around the stone or around the pipe? I have heard so many different things… The only thing I am sure of is how deep and”holes down” HELP!!! -Confused little house in a hole in ny

Participant

In my neck of the woods it’s not closer than 3 feet on a 45 degree angle from
          the footer or foundation line. As I remember the soil was pretty stable in
          the NY area especially in Rockland County (had to take the dead out of town
          for burial because of the solid rock just below grade).

Go around the patio or slab..If you use 6″ perf pipe make your cut at
          least 18″ wide so that you can get at least 6″ of stone above…below and
          both sides of your pipe. If the mesh size your stone or gravel is so small
          that it can pass through the holes in the pipe, you will need to wrap the
          pipe with mirafy fabric. You also will need to line the ditch with mirafy
          fabric with enough to flap over the completed ditch from both sides after the
          pipe a stone have been placed. I generally cover the mirafy fabric with two
          sheets of 15# roofing felt before backfilling the hole.
          If this is going to be just a “French Drain” application, try to keep the
          whole line on the same grade. If it is going to be used as an under drain,
          pitch it just like a sanitary sewer in the direction of the discharge site.
          Do not dump into the sanitary line or you may go on an unplanned vacation to
          Rikers Island.

I remember the
          rule being 1′ of distance for every 1′ of depth. Best thing is to call your
          local building dept., ask to speak to one of the engineers and ask him. Be
          sure and get his name so you can refer back to him when the inspector tells
          you, you did it wrong.

Have a GREAT week end NYC Rocks ;-)

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This