Rooted sewer line now hole in front yard

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Rooted sewer line now hole in front yard

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We just had the drain line from our house to the sewer unclogged with a “roto-rooter” type of service. He had to do it several times, but eventually got it unclogged and the water drained from our tubs, etc., where it had backed-up. (The house was built in 1960 in CA and has a cast iron clean out pipe in the front yard that he used).

We noticed, after he left, a round hole coming out of the ground in front yard, coming up at an angle, filled with water, and lots of soil and water had been pushed out from it into the driveway and street.

When we flush a toilet, we notice that the water in the hole in the front yard swells and water comes out! This hole was DEFINITELY not there before, but the company operator says that there is no way he could have caused it with his rooter (even though before he left, he said he had to go out 75 feet to clear the clog and found only a small amount of root material on his cutter when it came back).

It it possible that he broke through the drain with his rooter? If so, should they help pay for its repair?

Participant

If I said it once I said it a million times NO ONE BUT NO ONE knows more about drain cleaning than a Licensed Master plumber.

Most of these so called franchise guys have no more than 6 weeks training.

Think about this WHO would know more about plumbing drainage systems then the folks who instal them. If the drain guy only removed a fewroots THEN IMHO it was never snaked properly.

The water shooting out of your front yard sounds like a Clean Out plug/cap may have been left off.

Also if you have PVC piping and someone was STUPID enough to have snaked it Hey more power to them.

Next time DEMAND to see a license NOT some wanna be working on your plumbing /drainage systems Good luck. Check my article on top of this page “plumbviews ” and see an article about the good ole franchise boys.

Participant

It sounds like you may have Orangeburg pipes for your sewer. If so, that happens frequently since the pipe is just wrapped tar paper. The cutter can penetrate the walls of the sewer very easily especially if the pipe has collapsed and become oval. He did not damage your pipe, it would already have been damaged before he arrived. The only way he could penetrate the pipe otherwise is if the pipe were already separated giving the cable access to the ground surrounding the pipe. We rod ABS and PVC sewers all the time. It is almost impossible to damage a good sewer pipe by rodding it.

Participant

Mike RE read HJ’s remark

” We rod ABS and PVC sewers all the time. It is almost impossible to damage a good sewer pipe by rodding it.”
              DUH if the pipe is in good condition with PROPER pitch etc. WHY would Mr. HJ have to snake it?

Now considering how lousy plastic drain piping is made WHEN you think about how short the radius is WHY would any real plumber try snaking these lines IF THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE?

They should be water jetted as this would scour these lines to a like new condition without the dangers associated with using a cutter. If roots are present THEN there goes the “good shape theory” HUH?

I have a video inspection system and 3 water jetters ranging in pressure from 1250 to 3,000 PSI @ 10 GPM to several large snakes including the sectional electric eels that I can and do snake up to 200 feet out and 16″ in dia BUT before I snake OR Jet or other wise I look at the piping material I am dealing with.

We have orangeburg piping here also.

Orangeburg is made of 15 pound felt in several layers and the non knowing do call it “tar paper”

Now if the “plumber” knows the area and bothered to check out the building house trap (if required) OR possibly have made an initial attempt with a spear head as opposed to a cutter then even if it is Orangeburg it can be serviced BUT with extra care.

Granted this type of piping should be replaced when funds permit BUT I have kept this garbage piping going for many, many years before replacement had to be performed ONLY because it was cost effective instead of clearing out the roots once a year.

A “Good piping system” properly installed can go for years and years without being “serviced”

The problem is the way the piping was installed and the lousy materials they use today effect how long these systems last.

Using a SHARP/TOOTH cutter inside ANY plastic piping line doesnt seem very practicable to me But hey using it can create work I guess.
              Something about SAW TEETH turning and moving at a rate of around 22 FPM hitting a plastic wall. Hey to each there own.

Have a great one

Participant

Duh? Lost your voice? I rod them because some LMP’s made bad connections at the house or at the curb and roots have infiltrated the lines. The pipe itself is in good condition. And any plumber that has been in the business for more than a couple of years knows that and has encountered the problem. The only ones who are surprised by it are construction plumbers who have never had to do a sewer rodding and thus do not know about making impervious connections or do not recognize the need to do so.

Participant

Hey Mr “tar paper” if the joints were installed improperly HOW can you say the pipe is in good condition? Would you buy a home with leaking joints BUT the pipe was ok? Ever read a code bok where it says “developed lenth of pipe and fittings” I am sure the home owner didnt say “give me a discount and dont worry about bad joints”

FYI go to any roofing supply and ask for TAR PAPER and see what they tell you LOL. It would be like a plumber asking for a “fitting” DUH but hey your a professional it appears huh.
                  Are you talking 90 pound ruberoid, Koppers KMM, 40 pound mineral? Torch down, cotton impregnated membrane YUP TAR PAPER pipe sure DO sound professional. You be DA PLUMMMMMMINNN MAN go get em dude By the way Mr. PLUMMMMER what material do they use to hold the “tar paper” together?? as a LMP you HAVE TO KNOW THIS as ALL 2nd year apprentices KNOW it and it isnt “TAR PASTE ” LOL

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This