grinder pumps

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage grinder pumps

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

We are building a 2700 sq. ft. home with 3 full baths. The home also has a full unfinished basement, which we plan to finish immediately after moving in. This will give us 4 full baths, 2 laundry rooms and 2 kitchens. All plumbing runs to the basement level and out the front of the house. The builder has just told us that he is putting in a grinder pump. We feel that he set the foundation too low and this is the reason for the pump. Will this pump be sufficient to handle the entire home? Where exactly is a grinder pump installed? And will we likely have future problems? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

ALL Fixture units are approximate as per local codes.

4 full bathrooms 6 ea Total = 24

Kitchen sink @ 2 FU Ea. = 4

Laundry sinks @ 2FUea. = 4

Washing Machine @ 3 FU ea = 6

Your looking at about 38 FU which converts to 284.25 Gallons..

Now to use ONE sewerage ejector for all this is really taking a chance as when this ONE “grinder dies” your out of business completely in this home.

Remember your hooking up laundry tubs/washing machines and there is LINT going to be caught in this impeller among other things people tend to throw down a toilet.

I personally am very conservative and would NEVER install anything but a DUPLEX system with lead and lag capabilities. This way one ejector gets time to rest as you know they will be working 7 days per week.

Your question about if the builder screwing up who WHO KNOWS unless you know exactly where the crown of the main sewer is in relation to pitch.
          I cannot second guess the
          builder/plumber/ designer

Another feature about ejectors is in time of a black out you have no drainage so you must make sure someone knows how to size the ejector tank for some type of retention time.(8-12 hrs)

Has anyone discussed the problem with storm drainage and WHERE it is to be drained?

Are you going to have to pay electric bills to pump rain water?

There is an option I try to give my clients when doing a pumping system. I try to isolate as many fixtures from the ejector pot (SUMP) as possible and only have the fixtures below the gravity system connect to the pumps/ejectors.
          This is especially true in sub,sub,sub basements 40 or more feet below the
          sewer line.

Good luck and think DUPLEX System with high water alarms to let you know if there is a stoppage/float problem.

My personal choices in sludge
          pumps is Grindex Brand that can pump solids up to a tennis ball in size in diameter can be pumped safely.

Or the chopper pumps from Vaughn company with the patented chopper impeller chops and pumps waste solids without clogging.
          GOOD LUCK

Participant

Thanks for the reply. We really do not know anything about the pump. The builder just casually said one day that they are installing one. We know that the main drain runs underneath the foundation and the pipe coming from the main sewer line appears to be about 1 foot higher. Also, none of the other houses that he has built have any type of pump system.

Participant

OK if all your taking about is ONE FOOT then let the contractor install the main sewer above the basement floor to pick up all the fixtures above this pipe.
              Located on proper supports to prevent sagging and easy acess just in case you need service

This way everything from the 1st floor and above can drain by gravity.

Everything located in the basement (below the sewer pipe) can then discharge by means of the sewer ejector INCLUDING any floor drains that should be installed in any laundry room with a deep seal trap. This system does work out very well as your not fully dependent on electric power for discharging soil or waste.

In case of a black out you can still use the majority of the fixtures above the sewer line. By the way your very welcome

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 15 July 2000]

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This