Roots in Sewer

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Roots in Sewer

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Had drain in basement back up. Plumber came out, cabled the main sewer line, and came up with ROOTS galore. Put the camera down, at lease 4 spots in the 6″ crock pipe that are being invaded by roots. We have no trees in the yard – but plumber says there must have been one at one time. Plumber’s proposed solution: dig 10’x5′ hold in yard, put in a T-line, use a 6″cutter to clean out the pipe, and then have the line cleaned every few years. Proposed cost: approx. $3,000.
        Are there any other less expensive solutions? Chemicals to put down drain that will kill roots? Anything? Help!

Participant

Many of my accounts have root infiltration. Once every year we go and snake out the line BEFORE a stoppage occurs and this keeps them well under control. Actually if properly performed we could do it every 2 years depending on local conditions.

What I have arranged with my accounts is a yearly rodding DURING my slow period and therefore I can schedule several buildings in the same general area giving everyone a discount PLUS keeping my traveling time to a minimun. This is a win ,win for every one . CHEMICALS IMHO are literly throwing your money down the drain.
          Here why not read this article RE CHEMICALS:
          http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbing/plumbviews/chemicals.html

Participant

The best solution is not less expensive in the short term, but a new pipe will get rid of the infiltration. Once roots gain access, they just grow larger and more agressive. Which means each rodding will get sooner and harder. $3,000.00 seems excessive unless the conditions are exteme or the pipe is very deep.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This