Venting – Basement Toilet

Home Forums Public Forums Drainage & Sewerage Venting – Basement Toilet

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am installing a bathroom in my basement using a sewage ejector “in – ground” type. The ejector is about 5′ from my toilet, tub, and lavatory. It is vented. Do I additionally need to vent the toilet, tub and sink before they enter the ejector’s basin or is the venting of the basin adequate? Thanks for any help, Sincerely, Paul

Participant

You have it backwards. The toilet, lav, and tub MUST be vented. The one that you could live without if it were necessary is the sump vent.

Participant

I like indivdual vents for each fixture, I never use a wet vents
            ( except on acid waste) NOW about your sewerage ejector You had better vent this if you dont want sewerage smells entering your home. Another reason to vent this is if your pumping sewerage out and your creating a vacuum WHERE do you honestly think fresh air is going to come from? Unless you have no problem sucking the trap seals out of your fixtures connected to this VACUUM your creating.
            Stagnant sewer air is not a healthy thing around the home.

I would strongly suggest you get a copy of the local plumbing code and size the vent piping by developed lenth and the fixture units connected to it and make sure you use non scaling materials on the horizionatal sections of vent piping and pitch the vent pipe away from the fixture being served for condensation to flow back.

SylvanLMP

Participant

Without getting into a spitting contest, the tank is open to the pipng entering it. Therefore if the piping is vented, the tank is vented. If the pump can create a “vacuum” then the sytem is not vented, period. If the system is vented properly, then there is no way to pull the seals out of the traps unless you connect a “vactor” vacuum pump to it.

Participant

use 1/2 copper on all vents this allows the hot water to flow without disturbing the natural taste of the coffee.

Participant

HJ, A lot of PAID off codes allow the use Proventsand well no comment needed.

There are even some installations where the vent piping is so under sized that when a full sewerage ejector come on it does create a vacuum.

Think of a regular high rise building with all the vents YET when a single water closet does discharge from an upper floor it can draw the trap seal out from a lower floor.

Even under the best installations a vent terminal can become blocked from leaves or animals blocking them.

Participant

But then since the ejector basin vent would normally be tied to the plumbing vent, if it became blocked it would be ineffective and we are back to the fact that the plumbing vent is the only one that is really required.

Participant

I would vent the sump, the cost should be minimal. If you decide not to vent the sump install a 4in. horizontal drain to allow for the air to flow above the water line. You may to add to this system in the future, say a automatic washer. If I was installing this it would be vented.

Participant

The original posting specified that the sump was already vented. They were wondering if they could eliminate the fixture vents. The point I made was that they could not eliminate the fixture vents, but in a different context, the sump vent could have been eliminated if there were specific conditions why it could not be installed. All the rest of the misinformation such as pumping down pulling the trap seals is just a lot of garbage in their specific instance and has nothing to do with their question as evan a casual reading of the post would evidence.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This